Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

View Poll Results: What Pentax Camera body are you using / considering? [multiple voting allowed!!!]
K20D 12 17.65%
K200D 2 2.94%
KM / K2000D 2 2.94%
K10D 13 19.12%
K100D / K100 Super 9 13.24%
K110D 0 0%
*ist (D / DS / DL / DS2 / DL2) 10 14.71%
Will Consider new K7 7 10.29%
Considering K20D/K200D while still available 5 7.35%
Going to use my current body until it dies 8 11.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 1, 2009, 10:28 PM   #11

I too am going to sit out the K7. I thought about it before purchasing the K20 several weeks ago. The K7, I anticipate will be well over $1,000 ($1,300 to $1,500 I would venture to guess) and with the K20 at $670 and I see that its going for $770 now (I really feel I lucked out with the timing - but the price will come down again), I could not justify spending any additional money. The K20 appears to be everything I could hope for - and I am having fun using it!!!! I was concerned about the K20's size - it is larger than my K100, but it is working out great. For me the leap between the two cameras is substantial, and I can see another 4 years easily before (and seeing if my skill level increases) justifying another upgrade.

I was just wondering if and to what extent the K20 current pricing is stealing potential customers away from the new body.

I believe that I will always use the APS-C sensor since all of my lenses are DA, and I have no interest in rebuying/replacing my lenses for a full frame sensor. It just does not make any economic sense. I do seem to have problems with focusing in scenes that have a large amount of contrast, however - that is what manual focusing is for. An improvement in that area would be appreciated in time, however I feel very lucky that I was able to pick up a K20 for a pretty reasonable price - as I could not bring myself to pay what they are going to want for the K7. As it stands now, this will last me a very long time as shooting pictures is not necessarily dependent on keeping up with and having the latest technology.

Patty - on your search for a pocketable P&S - I picked up a Panasonic LX3 - it's set up for wide angle (24mm - 35mm equivalent or 18mm equivalent on a Pentax K body) tops out at 60mm and does wonderful video. I am finding that there are business trips I just can not take my SLR and this lets me take a pretty good camera (auto and manual) - plus its a Leica lens at f2-f2.8. Anyway - just an aside. - sorry for the non Pentax diversion.

207 views and 15 votes????

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009, 5:14 AM   #12

Still quite happy with a K-m that is less than a month old, and no funds to purchase anything else at this time!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009, 4:41 PM   #13

I am always interested in what may be coming but I will probably stick with my current cameras for some time now.
Attached Images
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 6:01 AM   #14

Some interesting results. ...one of the most interesting is how many of us are shooting multiple bodies.

I am happy with both my K10 and K20, and I'll probably sit out the K7. However, I've been saving my pennies so that if Pentax comes out with a substantially faster and more accurate AF and burst rate (i.e...making a better sports camera), I'll consider it for that purpose.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 12:08 PM   #15

I'm another happy K200D owner - and plan to keep it until it dies. But I admit I am openly considering adding either a K20D or the so-called K7 to my kit. But I need to find out more about the new camera will really be.

Now, here's a wrench in the works: Apparently K20D bodies can be had for $500 at the Ritz Camera stores slated for closure (while they last!). See my separate posting on this subject. That's really tempting because I don't need additional lenses right now. But will I kick myself if the new camera features fantastic auto-focus upgrades and a 6 fps burst mode? :?

I figure if I get either the K20D or the K7, I can use my big, fast zooms on that and the kit lens and 55-300mm zoom on the K200D for when I want smaller and lighter but still want a DSLR. I see no reason to have more than two DSLR bodies. For anything else I have the Panasonic LX3 and the Pansonic FZ28. That's a total of four digital cameras if I get the K20D or the K7. Even I admit that's pushing it. But then I could focus on feeding my LBA!:lol:
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 3:52 PM   #16

Really like my k20d, and still use my k10d a lot. So the K7 isn't something I'm waiting for. But if it's worth it, I'm interested in it.
Only not this year ... maybe when the price will be half of what it will appear at.

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 7:16 PM   #17

I'll be waiting on some of the K20D users to upgrade and then get a K20D. My K10D has a home forever.

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote