Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 13, 2009, 9:20 PM   #11

I really can't add anything that hasn't already been said, but these are just astonishing photos. Incredibly crisp details. Congrats -- those are professional quality images.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009, 8:21 AM   #12

Fantastic set of photos! Thanks for posting.
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 6:29 AM   #13

Glad to hear that your equipment makes it easier, but it looks to me like it's your talent and patience shining through! Thanks for sharing some amazing views of some fine birds!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 6:21 PM   #14

Gotta agree with everyone else, great shots.

JimInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 8:34 PM   #15

Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Daniel,

For the small birds, I've been using the Tasco Red Dot sight a lot since adding the weight is no big deal with the Sidekick, and this allows me to get the little guys in the viewfinder that much faster, giving me more time to be more precise in my focusing, metering, and composition. Bottom line, a lot of little factors are adding up to a very significant increase in percentage of keepers, and this gives me a lot more frames to choose from -- and I'm shooting a lot fewer frames total.

If a few years ago, anyone would have told me that my bird shooting would be at least 80% off of a tripod with a top line gimbal, I'd have laughed and shown him a bunch of my handheld stuff. Now the first thing I do is set up the tripod. . . who woulda thought. . .

Hello snostorm,
I am jimbobby from Guelph and I also know about snow shovels. Now that the spring has finally blessed us I am also out there trying to get the odd bird in the frame. I just bought a Tasco Red Dot BKRD30 so I'll be trying to marry it to my Canon 40D this weekend. I also have a jobu-design BlackWidow to help me hold my 400 with my weak arms that are getting weaker year by year.
PS: I like very much what you are accomplishing, especially with calling the birds in closer.
jimbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 7:42 AM   #16

Scott, your photos are consistently so good that I have come to expect nothing less than excellence, and you never disappoint. All of these are really good, but I think my favorite is the first one. These little warblers are so hard to capture well.

I've really been enjoying your shots since the recent monsoon in Arkansas (I swear I've been seeing birds and animals pairing up two by two and looking for a boat) has greatly limited my outdoor shooting.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote