Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 19, 2009, 10:23 PM   #11

Interesting observation, Kjell. I didn't notice it at first, but after looking closer at the first one, I can see what you mean. I really see it on the third one.

I've sometimes gotten something similar when combining Noise Ninja and sharpening in Photoshop but don't think that's the case here - ISO is too small for needing noise reduction. But it might have to do with the way it was sharpened.

An easy way to get rid of it is to copy the background layer, use a blur filter like gaussian blur or lens blur on the lower, background layer. Make sure the still sharp, upper layer is selected, use your favorite selection tool to select the rose, then click on the layer mask icon to add a layer mask. I really like CS4 because it has a control panel for masks - if you find you've got a sharp background and a blurry subject, you just click on the mask invert button and it will invert the mask, making the subject sharp and the background blurry. I can never remember if you are to select what you want to keep on the layer or what you want to show through for the layer mask. Luckily its easy to change in CS4 if you get it the wrong way.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 2:20 AM   #12

Thank You everyone for your kind comments.
Harriet and Kjell you have sharp eyes, I'm caught out, I did a little cloning and burning on a very bright background very clumsily and quickly, no doubt this left over some of this noise.
I hope this looks better without compromising the rose.
Attached Images

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote