Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 31, 2009, 7:20 PM   #1
Default New K10D and first picture

I suspect that I should introduce myself on the introduction board, but this is more about Pentax DSLRs.

I recently wished to find a DSLR for my wife who loved my Ricoh KR-30sp in the age of film cameras. She has used a few point and shoot cameras for the last few years, but has not been happy with the reduced control over the shot and shutter lag. She has long wished for a DSLR, but the price has discouraged her.

A few weeks back she expressed her wish for a DSLR and it motivated me to action. You see, I am in the National Guard and I will be deploying after the new year. My wish to her was, document my missing year. As such, I began researching cameras. I first thought to buy her a used Canon 350D, but ended up buying her a grey market K100D Super, new with the kit lens. Largely due to the fact that she still wishes to have a user friendly camera with the ability to manipulate later as she progresses. The ability for the Pentax cameras to use all of the older lens was a big selling point for me, what with the ability to buy Pentax-A prime lens inexpensively.

However, the photo bug bit me as I researched and deceded to buy me a K10D, no lens at first. In my travels I picked up some older Pentax lens and I decided to play with a RKN 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 lens. Not a great lens by any stretch of the imagination. I put the camera on auto and snapped a few pictures of the poppies in the garden and some climbing roses.

I am pleased with my first pictures, but I am afraid that I have much to learn.

Thank you for letting me ramble and for looking at my first halting steps with a DSLR.

Sharpsshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2009, 8:27 PM   #2

Welcome to the Pentax family and the forum!

Your first pictures look really good, I love both the last one (my favorite) and the second one. The flowers are lovely.

Don't hesitate to ask questions, we're a friendly lot and are always willing to answer questions. We've probably asked them ourselves at one time or another. It looks like you are off to a good start.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 9:06 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum. You're off to a great start. Photos are very good. I can certainly understand the desire to enable your wife to be able to document the time you're away. Both of you will enjoy your cameras. I use a K20, my wife a K10, and my son (currently at a Mid-East base as a civilian contract employee) a K100. All of us have tremendous experiences with them.

As Mtngal said, you'll find friendly folks here glad to help you any way we can. Glad to have you with us.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 10:35 PM   #4

G'Day and Welcome from Down Under and your always welcome to ramble.
All the shots are nice but that last shot is fabulous.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm

Last edited by Rodney9; Jun 1, 2009 at 2:07 AM.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 12:09 AM   #5

Welcome sharpshooter-

We have a friendly group here. You are off to a good start. Like Harriet, I think that your last photo is my favorite.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 1:11 AM   #6

Hi Sharpsshooter,

Welcome to the forum! You've definitely made an impressive start. As one of the more verbose on this forum, I certainly won't object to rambling. . .

It might be an idea to get your lady involved here too, but then you couldn't have any secrets --

I hope to see more of your efforts in the future.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 3:17 AM   #7

Hi. and welcome from the UK, we all ramble sometimes, so no problem. Very nice first pics ... only thing I'll say is try something other than auto, experiment ... I too use several older manual lenses, and prefer to shoot in AV (aperture priority) ask the wife, she sounds to be the family expert . ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:22 AM   #8

Welcome sharpshooter,
not a bad first series to start of with, like the 2nd one best.
Hope to see more of your shots

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:01 AM   #9

Welcome to the forum sharpshooter. Nice first post. I Like your first pictures. I still shoot with a K100D and can tell you your wife will love the camera and I am sure she will be sending you lots of photos when you are deployed next year.

I look forward to seeing more of your pictures in the future. Good luck and be safe in your deployment.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:53 AM   #10

As stated by everyone else, Welcome to the forums. I think your first crack at photos turned out pretty good. Keep shooting and you'll only get better. Good luck!
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote