Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 9, 2009, 6:01 AM   #11

Wonderful sharp photos, full of the personality of the birds! And a great idea for fundraising for a good project. If you are ever up my way, you can photograph my raptors for free!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 7:59 AM   #12
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Originally Posted by Trojansoc;
My favorite of the group is the amelanotic (I think that's the right word) red hawk. I have seen a similar hawk at one of these events. It was explained that the bird could not be released into the wild because other hawks would not accept it.

Here's a link to the gallery of shots I took at this year's event.

Paul, thanks for the explanation of the white hawk. The folks here mentioned the same: that if released into the wild, it would be in danger from other hawks. BTW, I checked out your gallery...some nice ones that you have captured!

Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Great shots Jelpee,
I think that Red Tail's daddy had a love affair with a Snowy Egret!
Good one GW!!

Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
These are really worth posting, very nice pictures Jelpee. Sharp, nice blurred background, well exposed and the shutter button pressed in the right microsecond. The Screech Owl looks like he's planning something, be ware!

Thanks Kjell! The arrangement of the birds relative to the backgrounds together with the zoom at the longer end, allowed for some nice bokeh!

Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Magnificent series Jelpee, really like the second shot and the way you see that something is going to happen.

Thanks Ronny...yes I agree, the Barl Owl seems to project an inquisitive personality.

Originally Posted by a200user View Post
Thank you, jelpee, we really got your $12 worth out of these, and then some!
Thanks Jim, $12 was a steal especially considering that it was limited to 10 photographers. Of course, I was the only Pentax shooter in the group (the reast were all Nikon and Canon).
Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
Wow, what wonderful shots.
Just goes to show what the Sigma 70-300 mm APO DG can do.
Rodney, thanks. I use the Sigma selectively when I know I can get the best from it.

Originally Posted by mole View Post
Wonderful sharp photos, full of the personality of the birds! And a great idea for fundraising for a good project. If you are ever up my way, you can photograph my raptors for free!!
Thanks Mole. You are fortunate to have access to so much of wildlife and nature photgraphy based on where you are located. May have to take you up on your offer sometime!

Thanks to everyone else for commenting (Patty, Lou, Phil, etc). All the images were captured in RAW, with the K20D on a tripod + wired remote. I remembered JimC's comment to Jack about using a fast shutter speed to prevent subject motion (in the feathers), as well as remember to use a wide enough f-stop for bokeh--not too much however, in order to keep the entire bird in focus.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote