Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 25, 2009, 6:28 PM   #1
Default Hawaiian Sunrise

There are few times when I consider it worth it to be up and out of the house with a camera by 5:30am, but today was one of those. I drove up the coast from my son's house to catch sunrise over the Pacific.

I had about a three minute window to get these colors as the sun disappeared behind the clouds. Each of these was taken with the K20d and Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8.

The location is at Kualoa Beach Park, right across from the Kualoa Ranch, where many major films and TV shows, including Jurassic Park, Lost, and more.

These are pretty well straight out of the camera since I don't trust any detailed edits on my 9" laptop. They can definitely be made to "pop" more with some levels and curves, but that will have to wait till I can either get home, or better yet, reconfigure my son's desktop and install a good editor, lol.

Last edited by Trojansoc; Jun 25, 2009 at 6:33 PM.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2009, 6:36 PM   #2

Totally awesome Shots!!! Makes me want To Go back again.

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 6:42 PM   #3

This a family visit as much as a trip to paradise, although grilling kabobs and sharing them with my son and his beautiful wife in a gazebo decorated with fresh ginger flowers is pretty close to it. There is one advantage to having limited editing capacity--I don't feel obligated to clean up the old man who is poorly lit in the corner.

Taken with existing candlelight and the FA 50mm f/1.4.

This shot certainly doesn't have to come from Hawaii--it could be anywhere--but Kira at least has a Hawaiian name, and it is a palm tree stick she was chasing

Last edited by Trojansoc; Jun 26, 2009 at 12:26 PM.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 6:57 PM   #4

That pretty much sums it up Paul, I think its really unfair that you didn't take the rest of us with you.

The daughter in law is beautiful and Kira is a real hansom beast!
great photos, looks like you're making the best of it.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 8:50 PM   #5

You left without me!

These are wonderful shots. That's one thing I miss is getting the sunsets on the beaches in California. Sunrises out here on the east coast just aren't the same. Although, you did great with your sunrises.

Okay, now that I'm over you left without me, go ahead and post more so we can drool some more.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 9:47 PM   #6

Nice series of pictures. Results indicate you packed the right gear. Your shots of the sunrise are great. It looks like you are having a nice reunion with you son and his lovely wife.

Looking forward to more pictures. Keep them coming.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:48 PM   #7

Love your sunrise, and the other scenic, that does look like a dinosaur from Jurassic Park should be strolling in it. I like the candlelight scene, though it looks like the DOF wasn't quite big enough to capture the whole scene in focus. But its a good family snap, excellent expression, everyone with their eyes open, and that's what's really important. And of course, I love dogs so Kira's picture is one of my favorites. Such a pretty shepherd.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:33 PM   #8

That first shot is a wall hanger. Thanks for sharing your vacation in Paradise with us.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 2:42 AM   #9

all i can say is WOW
penolta sums it up..
Passion is in all great searches and is necessary to all creative endeavors. - W. Eugene Smith
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2009, 3:42 PM   #10

I quite liked #1 especially Too good to be straight from the camera, I could even say...Judging from the last one also, you don't need to bother with pp for your next set, imo : ) Btw, that's a pretty nice Hawaii shirt on the 'poorly lit old man in the corner'
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote