Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:07 PM   #1
Default Historic Hawaii

Hundreds of years ago, the ancient Hawaiians built a massive stone temple at Pu'u o Mahuka Heiau overlooking the Waimea Beach on the western edge of Oahu. There, human sacrifices were performed to propitiate the volcano gods of the islands. Today, only rental car tires are sacrificed as visitors try to negotiate a maze of two-foot potholes and back-breaking speed bumps to reach the summit. The effort is well worth it. At the center of the ruins is the remains of the altar where the sacrifices were performed.

We went up there not just to see the ruins, but speculating on the prospect of a magnificent sunset over the Pacific. Mother Nature intervened in the guise of a low cloud bank that stubbornly hugged the horizon, but there were glimpses of the possibilities in the hour or so before sunset

Earlier in the day, we visited the Byodo-In Temple in the Valley of the Kings just west of Kaneohe. Built in the 1960's, the temple is a replica of a 900 year old Japanese shrine and features the largest Buddha carved in modern times.

For any photographer contemplating a visit to Oahu, the temple is a must, offering all kinds of opportunities. A couple of my other shots.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:16 PM   #2

You sure are getting some nice shots Paul! Great color too.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 8:26 AM   #3

You are developing into quite a tour guide. Keep posting!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 1:47 PM   #4

Nice shots Paul,

The area in which you took a chance to see and photograph is considered sacred and with that knowledge growing up in Hawai'i out of respect due to my Grandmother's wishes we never set foot anywhere near hallowed ground. I asked permission to have a tribal tatoo before it has become a fashion statement and she yet again forbade my doing so due to the significance of what it means and the family name being that of the "Alii" class.

My great grandmother is at rest at the Byodo Temple grounds and I visit there every time I go back home. I look forward to my return trip and seeing the remodeled Bishop Museum in Kalihi. If you haven't stopped by there yet, it would be a good one to see as it is a "living museum". Much of "Hawai'is" history is found there and the building itself is something to see. The Planetarium there has a good show about the ancient seafaring Polynesians and how Hawai'i was discovered.

Mahalo for sharing,

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 3:43 PM   #5

Great pictures, looks like a perfect photographers vacation.

Nr 4 would be my fav. if the rest wasn't as good

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 3:55 PM   #6

Paul, Nice shooing and excellent narrative. If I have to pick it's #3.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote