Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 9, 2009, 12:36 PM   #1
Default Hawaiian Lanscapes--From the Mountains

Arguably, the area along Waikiki is the most valued property on the planet. According to the tourist guidebooks, there are more hotel rooms in this one-mile cluster than anywhere in the world. It's an area I have scrupulously avoided during my Hawaii trip because of the congestion and maddening traffic, not what I came to Hawaii to experience. This is shot from about 13-hundred feet above Honolulu. Circular polarizer was used with the Sigma 18-50mm.

Just to the West is the Punchbowl, the crater of an extinct volcano sacred to ancient Hawaiians. Today it is the site of a National Cemetery, final resting place for some 25,000 Americans killed in combat. Marking the spot is an impressive monument to America's MIA's in all wars.

On the other side of the Ko'oloa Mountain rance is Kanehoe Bay, site of the Marine base where my daughter-in-law is stationed. The two rounded mountains in the distance in this photo mark the base.

(This one will have to be re-processed when I get home because of some sloppy layer masking when I was working with the levels on the sky, but I still liked the shot.)

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2009, 1:46 PM   #2

Paul, I agree.
I wouldn't want to be there either but, I sure like the photo!
They're all nice.
Attached Images

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:19 PM   #3

That first one is lovely. (Although, can I recommend you crop some of the foreground out to not have the horizon in the middle.)

I should have thought to ask if you went to the Punch Bowl to get a photo of a relative's cross. He died in the Korean War and is buried there. The family wanted money spent on helping heal their other son who'd been injured rather than shipping this son back home. At least he's in a beatiful place.

Looking forward to seeing your other photos once you can process on a real monitor. And, glad to hear you've had such a good time. Even though, you forgot me!

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote