Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 26, 2009, 2:13 PM   #1
Default Some low angle shots

I've been a bit to busy with work to respond to everything what's happening here.
And really I'm almost afraid to read another great review for the k7. My k20d is still to young to make it my backup camera.

But now vacation is slowly coming around the corner and I'm forcing myself to get some free time so I don't begin completely burned out.

This is the result of some of this forced free time.

I was trying to get some nature shots (park animals) from some low angles.
Had more problem with the grass than with the animals running away.

All with a k20d and sigma 100-300 ex f4, all except nr2 are full frame and just resized. A full frame for Nr2 would have made me to wet.

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2009, 4:39 PM   #2

I must say, being partial to bunny rabbits I just love the first one. He's so cute. I'm still not ready to replace my two pets we lost last year. It was a rough year for pets in our house as we lost our cat of 14 years, too.

I really like the stork (??), too.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 4:47 PM   #3

Ronny, Glad to see you back with more pictures!

The series is very nice and creative. #1 is my favorite #4 takes 2nd place for me.

I like the low angle shots. They are taken more from the perspective of another of the species taking the photo of his friend. These are certainly more difficult than taking the picture from the more normal dominant position above the subject.

Do you use a right angle viewfinder?

Very enjoyable viewing this post.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 4:48 PM   #4

ooooh - very nice! I might not be particularly partial to rabbits (though I do think they are always cute and cuddly) but that first one is really nice. I know what you mean about the grass - I often have trouble with that when shooting flowers.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 5:25 PM   #5

Ronny - I too enjoy low-angle shots of "critters" - although mine tend more towards "bugs" and such. These are some excellent and intriguing views! Thanks!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 6:15 PM   #6

Getting down on the subject's eye level makes for the best portraits, as you have done well in these. I really could like #2 best, but there seems to be a bit of back focus resulting in softness around the face, while the leg and shoreline behind are sharper - a sharper eye would have made a good photo great. Fill flash would have increased the DOF and provided a catchlight in the eye. Softness in portraits is favored by some, but only if it is even across the subject.

Not finding it as easy as it once was to get down and dirty with the subjects, I recently bought a Sony a350 with a fold-down LCD panel in part in hopes of facilitating this kind of photography, but it doesn't gain up enough outdoors - nearly useless on bright days (which we have a lot of out here). Otherwise it works well with Sony's excellent implementation of live view.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 6:18 PM   #7

A Really Great Series, Ron-

Very well done.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 9:59 PM   #8

Terrific series, not one bad one.
I think the low angle is the best way for animals if you can, it really shows off the subject, as you have done so well.
My favourite is No.2 you can also feel that fuzz and those little drops of water make it magical.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 10:14 PM   #9

Great perspective, getting down to the level of the subjects, very nice.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 4:35 AM   #10

All very nice Ronny with No 1 the top pick for composition and sharpness.
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote