Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 2, 2009, 11:53 PM   #1
Default Wildlife Refuge--First Visit

Today my wife and I took a little road trip up to the Holla Bend National Wildlife Refuge on the Arkansas River. The refuge was established and is maintained primarily for migratory birds, particularly waterfowl, so we knew that the opportunities might be limited for viewing on a hot summer day. However, the trip was far from a waste. If nothing else, we saw our first Eastern Meadowlark.

I stopped just inside the refuge boundary to get my camera prepped and adjusted and was surrounded by butterflies.

Unfortunately, most of the shots of the latter pair would have required a parental advisory. While I was trying to shoot the butterflies, my concentration was broken by a relatively rare sighting of a 'possum on a half-shell.....

These guys define ugly

There were a few red-shouldered hawks....but they stayed high

Most of the wildlife refuge is currently growing food in low lying areas which will be flooded in fall. In addition to migratory waterfowl, the refuge is home to a large bald eagle population in winter. It was the wrong time of year, but still a pleasant visit. Now, I can't wait to go there when it gets cold.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2009, 5:43 AM   #2

Wonderful series, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I love that guy.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 7:01 AM   #3

Grate series! Not having any Armadillo's up here and it is nice to see pictures of them.

The NWR's are fantastic to visit. There are two within a half hour of my home and I try to get to them often.

Nice pictures all!

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:22 PM   #4

Awesome series, my favortie being your 'possum on a half shell'. My wife opened the front door late one night to a 'possum'. Having never seen one before she swore it was Satan and the ugliest thing she had ever seen - until you posted this. Thanks.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:04 PM   #5

Do you mean to tell me that those ugly things actually walk and live? I thought they just mysteriously appeared squashed on roads - I had once lived in Texas and rarely saw one that wasn't in that condition. Love the butterflies.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 5:33 PM   #6

Paul - The meadowlark is great - amazing details, the butterflies are wonderful - fine composition and colors, the Hawk is excellent - especially the lighting. But I love the "armored 'Possum!" Thanks for sharing some great fruits of your trip!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote