Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 4, 2009, 5:12 PM   #1
Default More Auto Museum--Idea Owed to Ira

I've really loved some of the shots of autos that Ira has posted recently, in which he has done really close focusing on a single piece of trim, or single feature of an auto. When I went to the auto museum, I tried to emulate his success by focusing on a specific feature, but couldn't get as close as I would have liked to the vehicles and didn't have a long low-light lens. Custom hood ornaments tend to be gaudy, even gauche, and the one on this 1967 Caddy definitely fits the bill, but it's hardly your $ 29.95 screw-on. The solid silver Santa Gertrudis bull was cast as a gift for then-Arkansas Governor Winthrop Rockefeller as a birthday gift from his wife. (Rockefeller was internationally known for his work in developing the breed.) The dark maroon color of the auto was a tradition in the Rockefeller family, dating back to his grandfather, John D. Rockefeller.

The Museum of Automobiles was started by Rockefeller as a way to showcase his personal collection, and many of the exhibits were donated by his estate to the permanent collection.

From a 1933 Auburn Boattail Speedster....

No one will have any trouble recognizing the front end of this beauty from 1948, but I was taken by the Phaeton body style and the overall level of luxury

The chain drive on the 1908 Sears Runabout in my earlier post

Finally, the front end of a 1939 Lincoln Zephyr...which almost seemed to be smiling

Hope you enjoy.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2009, 9:56 PM   #2

Very nice pictures - it looks like you had a wonderful time at the museum. That first one really came out nicely.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:24 PM   #3

Good series, nice shots and what a great car.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote