Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 7, 2009, 5:23 PM   #1
Default First Day, First Birds and more--New K7

My new K7 arrived late yesterday, so it was this morning before I could get the battery charged and all the set-up adjustments made. As many of might have done, shortly after daylight I was on my way to a place I "knew" I'd find some willing subjects. In my case it was the nearby fish hatchery, but there were not many birds this morning. There were a couple of female red-winged blackbirds who must have had a nearby nest, because they would fly if I got close, but not to far.

The biggest thing I wanted to test on the K-7 was the improved focus system, and the best test available was birds in flight, even though I didn't have many to choose from. I tracked this Canada goose over about a dozen shots, all of which remained in focus. I only got a couple of quick shots at the green heron when it came over my shoulder.

A different green heron gave me several opportunities to get close enough for closeups with the Bigma

There were no birds in my yard, but a giant swallowtail butterfly insisted on putting on a show.

And, on the same plant.....I think this is a bumblebee moth....Penolta, feel welcome to correct me.

My reaction to the camera? I'm blown away. Consistency of accurate focus...speed...image tone....all impressive. Can't wait to play with it more.

BTW, all of these shots were taken with the Bigma. Post-processing was minimal, but did include a little Noiseware on the closeups where a significant crop had been made.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2009, 8:40 PM   #2

Ya done good son! real good!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:21 PM   #3

Great shots. Congrats on the new camera. When my k100D became unreliable, I really wanted to replace it with the K7. in the end, I went for value over performance and bought the K20. But your pics convince me that eventually I'll upgrade to the K7.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:40 PM   #4

Great to hear that you find the camera a big improvement! I'm going to be interested in your reactions when you start to shoot some sports. That Canadian Goose is really very nice.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:11 PM   #5

It looks like this is going to be a good camera for you. I never would have thought of the Bigma for close-ups, but it has done a great job on the Giant Swallowtail and the moth. As for the moth, no correction is necessary - its that common name thing again. It is one of the Clearwing Moths, usually called hummingbird moths because people often first think they are hummingbirds since they act like them, hovering before the flowers sipping nectar, but bumblebee could suffice as well as it could look like one if you ever saw one actually sitting on a flower.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 6:54 PM   #6

Paul - some amazing photos - you had no trouble adjusting to the new camera!! All are excellent, but I especially like the emotions in Mrs. Redwing!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 9:41 PM   #7

Paul, amazing shots!

Both the new camera and the Bigma preformed beautifully in your capable hands.

I really enjoyed these photos and am inching closer to pulling the trigger on a k-7 myself. I would like to see one before I purchase it. I hope Pentax finds a place in New England where that can happen!

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 10:40 PM   #8

Yes I'm jealous, for the life of me I can not focus on flying birds.
Your shots are fabulous, a perfect set-up you have now.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 7:44 PM   #9

Hi Paul,

Some great stuff here!!!!

My favorites are the GH in flight (a very tough capture -- I've never gotten one anywhere close to as good) and the Hummingbird Moth ( I've tried numerous times, but haven't anything I'd show anyone. . . this one's a great shot!!!)

Definitely some outstanding work, especially with a new body that's so different to operate than your previous cam.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 8:10 PM   #10

Nice shots, but what ISO shots are these in as i see quite a bit of noise.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote