Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 21, 2009, 9:23 PM   #11

All three pictures are very nicely done. I keep going back to #3 as it has captivated me. I tried to analyze just what it is about the shot that makes it so wonderful.

First - The colors are great.

Second - The lines of the brick draw your eyes in from the right to the center and the lines have vanishing points that take your eyes into the center of the scene as well.

Third - The building above with its light granite and dark brick with the windows reflecting the blue sky draws the sky down into the scene and helps transitions your eye toward the sky.

Fourth - It is the numerous vertical vanishing lines that draw your eye upward in the picture to the sky. Everything in the picture is helping you up those stairs!

The 10-17 is a fantastic lens for this type of architechtural shot where the distortion and bending of lines becomes the enjoyment of the photograph. If the subject picture were de-fished the picture would lose most of its charisma.

I would love to try a series of pictures with the 10-17 at the Frank Geary building as it is already destorted as it was built. I think I could have fun with it there.

Nice shooting, Harriet.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 4:05 AM   #12

Great series Harriet.

Like the last one best, especially because of the curved walls.

With the other two that effect is less because the lines are already curved

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 9:53 AM   #13

Thanks, Lou and Ronny. What's interesting is that I went to take the pictures of the circular staircase (1 and 2) and I wasn't particularly looking for any particular fisheye effect. The first staircase is in the building on the right in the third picture, so on my way back to the office I stopped for a couple of quick shots (love being able to take 5 bracketed shots with one push of the shutter) on the off-chance that the fisheye could make it more interesting than I had otherwise been able to manage. I was very pleased when I saw the picture.

I'm finding this lens far easier to control/more versatile than I had expected. Guess the good information in all those other threads posted here about fisheye lenses sunk in.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 7:12 PM   #14

Very nice. I really liked the first one until I saw the third one. Outstanding. I just keep looking at it. So much to contemplate.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote