Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 22, 2009, 10:51 PM   #1
Default Hummingbirds and an nasty surprise (6 imgs)

Hi All,

I finally found a reliable place to find some hummingbirds. I'd stopped going to the Crab Tree Nature Center because they'd made some changes that adversely effected access to a lot of my favorite places.

Anyway, I was passing by, and stopped in a couple of days ago. I just observed for a while, but saw that their HB feeder was being visited regularly, so I came back with some gear, and have returned for the past couple of days to learn something about their behavior and try for some shots.

These guys are a real challenge. Very quick, incredibly small, and very unpredictable. The lighting was generally horrible, threatening rain the whole time, and very dark, with a few minutes at a time when the sun was able to penetrate the very thick cloud cover.

This first shot was massively underexposed so the colors are off -- I'm still getting used to the metering of the K-7, not that I wouldn't have made the same mistake with the K20. . .

Here are a couple from the second day. I learned a lot from just watching them, and found that they weren't intimidated by my just standing there, as long as I was over about 10-12 feet away. . . I'll try to get a bit closer. . .

These (and the first, I believe) are all female Ruby Throated HBs.

I've been told that these are the only kind that visit around here, but. . .

maybe the sun reflecting wierd off its chin feathers, but they're supposed to be a bright red in the male. . .

And this guy looks a lot like the Black Throated HB pics in the guides. . . They aren't supposed to even come close to the northern midwest. . .

And WTF is this????? -- the body alone was about 2" long -- easily the biggest fly I've ever seen, by a magnitude of at least 2 or 3. Opaque black wings, and now that I can look at the pics, what looks like orange tips on the feet. This might look like almost a macro, but it's a snap I took at 510mm from 15-20 feet away. This is about a 2/3 frame crop.

I thought it was a rubber toy that someone had tacked up as a joke -- until it took off, smacked into a big window with a loud thud, then flew off to parts unknown. . . in flight, it looked a little bigger than the HBs. I'm considering bringing a shotgun for self protection the next time I go there. . . We aren't supposed to have mega bugs around here . . thank you very much!!!

I'm thinking of concentrating on these guys for a little while. . . and maybe I can remember to bring my flash. . .

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2009, 5:57 AM   #2

Thats one huge fly indeed, and lovely hummingbirds.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 7:53 AM   #3

I really like the third one. The way it just hovers there.

And, that fly! Yikes! 2"! Shivers down my spine just thinking of a fly that large.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 8:13 AM   #4

Great images, love those little birds, and a nice shot of a "black horse fly"

"This horse fly is a blood feeder, slashing the hide of the animal and sponging blood from the wound." Don't think that shotgun is a bad idea.

Last edited by rhermans; Aug 23, 2009 at 8:15 AM.
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:09 AM   #5
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Scott, these are great compositions..especially like the one feeding from the flower. Re. the color of the male, on some of the images, the colors on these images look somewhat hazy & pale on my monitor...almost as if the've been shot through a hazy glass...not sure if it is your images or my monitor.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 12:29 PM   #6

Scott... they weren't perhaps shooting a Sci Fi movie close by....

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 2:38 PM   #7

Alright, time for a battle royal, your fly vs my wasp:

MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 3:54 PM   #8

Scott - the feathers on hummingbird gorgets have structural colors, and not pigments. Think of them as bearing little prisms that reflect different colors - or none at all - depending on the direction of the light falling on them. Bring your flash - it should help. Otherwise you seem to be getting the hang of it.

There looks like there might be a tinge of blue in the gorget of #5 - hummingbirds sometimes stray into the East and Midwest, but Black-chins and Costa's - (the ones that show blue in the Gorget) are not likely in Chicago.

And you are lucky that that horsefly wasn't hungry - only the females bite - and painfully too - (like female mosquitos they need a blood meal to lay eggs), and that one is a female! Those horseflies only occur in eastern North America, so they are one thing I haven't missed by moving West.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 5:21 PM   #9

not my image thank god but this little (well not so little) beasty trumps pretty much all insect life - japanese giant hornets

as this is my first post here should really say hi, the humming bird shots are really nice - love the one in flight - bet you needed alot of patience to get those shots - been tring to get some shots of buzzards lately but having spectularily bad luck
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 5:56 PM   #10

his fly, your wasp !!!!! i got both..

Passion is in all great searches and is necessary to all creative endeavors. - W. Eugene Smith
robar is offline   Reply With Quote