Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 27, 2009, 2:13 PM   #11

Really enjoyed the stroll,

with the female Ruby Spot I like the last shot best, but the reason is just that she is a lot larger then in the other pictures. Now if the other 2 images would be larger it would be more difficult. I guess it then would be nr2 because nr1 is taken more perpendicular to the wings.

Don't mind the reflection, even think it add's to the image.

Like the spider, only I don't have a frame of reference to see if it isn't to big to be something I would like

Composition, color, sharpness of the first butterfly shot is just of the scales
(nr 2 is only great )

Like the shot with the spores, haven't thought of trying to get a shot like that - thanks for the idea.

And the small green flowers, I don't know somehow don't like them that much.

Thanks Mole for the walk.

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 2:46 PM   #12

Hey Mole,
Of the damsel's I like the first one but, they're very close.
Of the Fritillary, I can't say. I like them both!
Of the Bur Cucumber...I like my Florida variety best.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 4:17 PM   #13

Of the first two similar shots, damsel #2 is best, as she stands out more clearly from the background. The second cucumber flower lacks enough contrast, so the first is best. Otherwise it is hard to choose among good pictures that are not comparable - I like them all. Nice work.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:02 PM   #14

I like 'em all! Sharp as a tack and great backgrounds!

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:34 PM   #15

I prefer the close up of the dragon fly and the 2nd of th Fritillary.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 4:07 PM   #16

Thanks so much for all the comments and suggestions. I do value your opinions, and the input is very helpful!

Patty - sorry you did not like the photo of momma spider. For your sake, I will not post the photo showing her with her 100's of little ones! By the way, just to be picky, it's not pollen but spores coming from the horsetail. It's a non-flowering plant, something like ferns and such.

Lou - we also have some larger lakes and swifter streams where I don't go wading with the camera out (keep it in the pack inside several plastic bags!), but it sure is nice to have some shallow, slower water where wading is safer.

Kazuya - thanks! You and the spider both like the butterfly, but for different reasons!!

Ronny - thanks for some great input. I had to take about a dozen shots to get the spores photo, and am still not real happy with this one - will try it again next time I'm out at that marsh. Basic method was to prefocus, tap the plant, hit the shutter... Most came out way too blurry!

GW - what have you done to my poor little green flower?? Very cute! See if you can do some genetic engineering to create the real thing! It still probably won't sell in the seed catalogues, since those flowers are less than 1/2" in diameter.

Penolta - thanks for the great comments. I noticed the contrast problem too - need to do more work with the Sigma 105 macro to learn its best shooting "needs."

Glenn - thanks!

Rodney - thanks! That closeup is uncropped - shows what the Sigma Macro can do when it is behaving!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote