Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 13, 2009, 6:51 PM   #11

Hey Mole,
these are all great, the bees are fantastic!
The HDR turned out nice and does show a more dynamic range over all but, I think I'm with you on the first one, it has more of a "mood" to it if you know what I mean.
I'm have trouble thinking of the word I want.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 7:08 PM   #12

In this case I prefer the non-HDR version. The lighting is very dramatic and I don't think you need to see the extra detail in the shadows. HDR evens out the contrast and that doesn't work well with all scenes.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 8:21 PM   #13

I agree with others that the non HDR is more dramatic. The views you show from Roan Mt. are wonderful. So are all the other shots! I look forward to seeing your

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 9:23 PM   #14

Stunning photos as usual Mole. This series continues your custom of making all of us awestruck at the beauty of your home region. As to your question, I agree that the second shot (HDR) definitely shows more detail in the shadows, but I much prefer the mood of the first. I gives a feeling of being high up in the mountains more than the second.

I believe it was John Muir who also said "I am hopelessly and forever a mountaineer." Raising a family, paying a mortgage, etc. has caused me to spend much less time in the mountains over the past 25 years than I would prefer. Nonetheless, like Muir, I am also a hopeless case.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:01 AM   #15

Lovely series, my favourite is the Coreopsis.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 5:39 AM   #16

Thanks so much for all the helpful and kind comments. Glad you liked the hike, and that you didn't get sunburned as much as we did!!

Patty - With my very limited funds, I always go for the lowest budget method. Have been using Gimp (free) for most photo editing, and just recently saved up enough to buy PSE 6 for mac. For resizing though, I have found another free software called Irfanview the quickest and easiest. It is Windows-only, but will run just fine on an intel Mac like mine using another free utility called "darwine." Hope that helps!

GW - Roan Mt is one of the best places for bee photography. I think it's a combination of several factors - higher altitude, lower temperatures, higher winds, higher humidity, and shorter season - but the bees are somewhat on the sluggish side, and very loath to fly. Thanks also for the HDR comment - I may still play with this some more as time permits.

Harriet - thanks for the HDR insights - I know that you use this very effectively, and just wanted to give it a try. Have found another free HDR software called Photonaut - windows only but works (very slowly) on intel mac with darwine. It seems to give somewhat better results that photosphere, and I may try it out on these later.

Lou - thanks for the kind comments and input. Will be out on the trail again soon, and sharing photos as time permits...

Mtnman - And he also said, "The mountains are calling, and I must go..." I can certainly sympathize with your situation - now that my 6 kids are pretty much grown into fine adults, and the mortgage is finally paid off, we have more time for fun in the mts! (And of course, it was easier for me, even when the children were small, because our mts are close to home!)

Rodney - thanks! I was hanging by my toes and knees to get that shot, and was not fully satisfied with the result. Glad you liked it!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 7:15 PM   #17

The only thing wrong with this post, Mole, was it did not end with "everyone come stay at my house and go hiking with me!" Seriously, great shots. My favorite is the sand myrtle but the first bumblebee macro was quite an eye catcher too.

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 5:46 AM   #18

Tim - How about, "bring your tent to my backyard..." instead (the house is kind of small, and there are lots of folks here at the forum)!!

Thanks for your kind comments, and do hope to see you "out on the trail" one of these days!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote