Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 25, 2009, 9:29 PM   #1
Default 100m World Record Holder

No, I didn't get to see Usain Bolt run, but I did get a chance last weekend to watch Dr. Roderick Parker of Little Rock run. He's the 92-year-old world record holder in the 100 meters in the 90-94 year old age group for Senior Olympics. This start was on his way to an 18.21 sec run, fastest in the world this year in the age group by some four seconds.

And, in case anyone is ungenerous enough to suggest he is the only one that old still able to run, this gentleman finished second.

Senior Olympics is always a lot of fun. I only hate that I don't get to get down on the field with my camera since I'm the meet announcer. I try to click a few shots from the press box with the Bigma, although I know that's not going to give me the best angles. I did play a little bit with the K-7's focus tracking. Two consecutive shots from a burst, although I admit this guy's not going that fast.

My hat's off to all these gentlemen and ladies for the effort they put into their sport. As I get older, I appreciate more and more the amount of effort it takes to compete.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2009, 9:50 PM   #2

Great shots Paul...I appreciate seeing participants in sporting events at this age.

I'm getting on myself (60) and seeing older people so full of energy...gives me hope for the future.

I recall back about 10-15 years ago when George Foreman, the famous boxer renewed his career in his late '40's and continued boxing till he was about 50...and did well.

I'm not a boxing fan, but seeing George do his thing, reinforced the idea to me that just getting older didn't necessarily mean that the human body could not continue to do activities that are often relegated to the younger. I'm about the same age as George..so I was pleased to see an old geezer keep up.

lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:11 PM   #3

Good shots, it's amazing to see how some can do this.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 1:14 PM   #4

Good action shots, I'm sure they are faster in the 100m than I am
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 7:51 PM   #5

What fun you must have had - maybe there's hope for me yet. I'm a whole lot younger than that but am finding it harder and harder to do things that at one time I took for granted. Neither competitor looks like they could be in their 90's - does running track keep you young-looking?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 9:41 PM   #6

Nice work Paul.
he has about 34 years on me but, I still couldn't beat him!

Harriet, the answer to your question is... you don't get old and stop running... You stop running and get old

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 12:15 PM   #7

Nice action shots. These athletes deserve a lot of credit. Your pictures demonstrate how hard they work to keep this level of fitness.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 5:28 AM   #8

Great photos - really shows your skill and their training!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote