Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:44 AM   #31

This one is titled "Untidy".
I was testing a Super Takumar 135mm lens on my K20D.

beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 9:48 PM   #32

Sorry everyone about being gone most of the month but I got back this weekend. I spent most of the weekend catching up but now I am ready for the count. As usually we have a lot of good ones to choose from although that is going to make it harder for all of you. As usually we vote for 5 days and I will count them up and get the answer to everyone on the 6th.

Good work all and good luck.

Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 5:40 AM   #33

My pick from this month's entries is Lyrics51's shuttered building. The black and white emphasizes the bleakness of the subject and it is a topical reminder of present economic times.

bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:30 AM   #34

Keltech's empty stage. A really fine exposure.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:37 AM   #35

My Vote gos to mtngal. Honorary mention to Glens( lyric51) House. Deciding the Winner in my Mind just keeps getting Tougher with every Challange
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 7:42 AM   #36
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Glenn (lyrics51) gets my vote for this month.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:40 AM   #37

My vote is for Harriet (mtngal) because the image implies someone will return in spite of the obvious evidence that they have not. The subtle suggestion of the open door in the softly blurred background and the hat casually hanging on the chair. The scene seems to represent a sudden unplanned departure with no return. Eerie in fact. Beachboy2 has achieved a similar feat with the overturned tricycle and abandoned sneaker as has pboerger with his sneaker among the leaves. All of the entries are quite good but these say more to me, and here the story is the challenge.
Riverview, NB, Canada
Current equipment
Pentax K7, K5, K3:
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-PM1, E-PL1, E-P2, E-P5: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Last edited by Monza76; Nov 2, 2009 at 9:45 AM.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 10:00 AM   #38

My vote this month goes to Patty. When I first saw the title and then the picture it took a second or two for it to sink in and then all I could do was smile ear to ear.

Nhmom gets my vote as the picture struck my funny bone and the moment of splash was nicely captured.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 10:54 AM   #39

Abandoned buildings seem to be the most poignant of all the fine pictures this month GW, Jalpee, and Lyrics. Of these, Glenn's is the most evocative, and that is my choice.
If life brings you lemons, you can make lemonade.

Last edited by penolta; Nov 2, 2009 at 3:34 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 3:13 PM   #40

This is a tough month, all of the pictures are outstanding. The picture that I really like, the one that somehow speaks to me most (I love brick and hardwood floors) is Gina's hair salon. However, I don't think it fits the topic best. It speaks to me on a visual, design, architectural level but doesn't tell a story as well as some of the others, so it gets an honorable mention.

Like others, I found myself on the fence between humor (Patty's big splash, which definitely tells a story) and the serious feeling of something lost or abandoned (bb2's trike, Daz's withdrawn first picture of the destroyed houses and Glenn's shuttered building in Toledo). All tell a story - one of a little boy abandoning a toy in favor of something more exciting (Daddy coming home?) and the other of the abandoning of a life, adult dreams that didn't work out, the sadness of moving on.

Tomorrow I'll feel different emotionally and perhaps would make a different choice, but today I'm going to choose Glenn's (Lyrics) abandoned building.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote