Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 10, 2009, 6:51 PM   #1
Default Birds In Flight--Osprey and Juvenile Bald

We had a 50 degree day in Arkansas today, and with the arrival of the cool weather came the first of our winter visitors. I went out to the fish hatchery today and found an osprey who appreciated the open buffet and immediately snagged lunch

He may have thought I would want to share because when he saw me, he headed the other way.

At first, I thought I was tracking another osprey, but as he got closer, I realized that it was something altogether different

This juvenile is only the second bald eagle I have seen at the hatchery, although you would expect to see more in such an easy spot for dinner.

It was a heavily overcast day and I only dialed in + 0.7 EV... probably should have gone at least 1.3 considering how cloudy it was. Thus, each of these photos has had levels raised in Lightroom considerable, then tweaked in PSE 7.

I saw something else I had never seen...a large flock of great egrets flying together. Usually I see only solitary birds, or couples at the most.

It's impressive to see such big birds in such large numbers, especially when they reformed into a near-perfect "V." This is a much more usual great egret shot.

I bumped up the ISO to 1600 because of the lousy conditions. I shot at f/9.0 in Av mode on the K-7 with the Bigma fully extended. PP workflow was Lightroom...Noiseware...PSE 7. All shots handheld.

Last edited by Trojansoc; Oct 10, 2009 at 6:59 PM.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:25 PM   #2

Great flight shots, especially the 2nd Osprey, the Eagle and the Egret.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 7:12 AM   #3

Nice shots. I especially like the immature bald and the Egret.

The flock of Great Egret are similar to the one I took last week of the Snowy Egret flock except the snowy were strung out in a straight line.

You did a fine job with these!

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 11:42 AM   #4

Looks like you had a pretty successful day Paul!
nice shots.
Attached Images

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 5:23 AM   #5

Some nice clear shots of some amazing birds! Glad your talented hands & eyes caught them for all of us to enjoy!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote