Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 17, 2009, 8:41 PM   #1
Default Vermont Autumn Foliage

In commenting on several others' recent pictures, I've said that we've had a very beautiful foliage season this year, but I've been too busy to take any photos. Last night, while going through my photo folders, I realized that what I had said was not entirely true. Several weeks ago, as the trees were just starting to turn, I drove through Vermont's Groton State Forest. I was ahead of schedule, so I decided to take a very quick side trip to Kettle Pond, which is an easy 5 minute walk from a parking area. (My wife and I like to paddle around Kettle Pond, and as the years have gone by I have found it's no longer an easy walk when I have a canoe balanced on my shoulders, but this day all I took with me was the K20 and the 16-45 DA lens.)

I was pleased to see that trees along the shore line were more colorful than other sections of the forest. I wished it was a perfectly calm day, since a reflection in the water's surface would have made this a much nicer picture, but the breeze made the water's surface a bit choppy.
Attached Images
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2009, 8:46 PM   #2

Here are some colorful trees in the swampy area near the pond's outlet stream. I've read many times that you should not use a polarizing filter with a wide angle lens, since the sky will be affected in different ways depending on the angle of the sun. Of course, I didn't take that advice to heart, and I believe my use of a polarizer explains the different shades of blue in the sky. Oddly enough, I didn't notice this phenomenon while composing the picture, but it sure jumps out at me now. Oh well, live and learn.
Attached Images
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:19 PM   #3

Both quite lovely shots, I think the filter gives the second one an interesting effect.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:52 PM   #4

Very nice color. You are right about the polarizer affecting the sky that way - I've done the same thing. Luckily my shot was a snow shot so I just converted it to black and white and it worked out well. Obviously, you can't do that with your picture! The colors are certainly pretty.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:31 PM   #5

Nice pictures. I happen to like the sky as rendered by the polarizer. Both shots are wonderful!

I know what you are referring to about the lake shore reflecting the foliage when the water is glass like. I was hoping to get such shots this fall but the weather was uncooperative.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:50 PM   #6

Nice ones, mtnman. You had your polarizer and I didn't. I think yours looks fine having used it.

I was going to go up north again today, but couldn't find anyone to go with me. The places I wanted to go I didn't want to be by myself. Maybe tomorrow when the hubby gets home. Or, the peak should be near my home next weekend. That is if the weather holds out.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 11:14 PM   #7

What wonderful colours, thank you for sharing.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:09 AM   #8

Beautiful colors. I'm afraid we're not going to get the great colors this year. The early results are just a dull brown, but I'm not giving up.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 3:40 PM   #9

Nice colors! Interesting sky effect in #2.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 5:09 PM   #10

Lovely color - and great use of lines too. Hope to see more of your fine work soon!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote