Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 21, 2009, 8:04 AM   #11

Mole - I agree - these shots are a definite improvement over the first batch. Any thoughts on what the difference was? Was it stopping down to f11 or something else? Really good series.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 9:13 PM   #12

Very nice series! Interesting that I'm not the only one who finds shooting very distant subject (either large or small) an exercise in futility. I figured it out when trying to take pictures of something about a mile away when there were numerous restaurants and store rooftops in between. The air distortion caused by the urban environment was huge, making straight lines wavy. And elsewhere, I've found green forested mountainsides become blue. But I always try anyway.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:08 PM   #13

Excellent details on these shots - very well done!!! I agree with John - perhaps stopping the lens down a bit brings out it's best possibilities?

Marc Langille Photography | Photography Workshops | PPG

“The camera is only a tool: the image is the product of your mind and vision.”
Marc Langille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:23 AM   #14

Very nice, great detail, good light, my favourites are the ones you can not see the feeder, much more natural.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 5:33 AM   #15

JohnG - I should have done a more scientific test - changing only one factor at a time - but I am too impatient. The factors that were changed included stopping down to F11, turning off anti-shake, working on much closer subjects, not zoomed all the way to 600mm, and (probably the biggest factor) me practicing with manual focus a lot more. Not sure which of these factor(s) made the biggest difference, but I would suspect it is the first and the last ones!

Harriet - Yes I agree, and I will also still keep trying to take those shots that I know won't come out well...

Marc - thanks for your kind comments.

Rodney - I too like the non-feeder shots better. Will have to try for more one of these days soon.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:42 PM   #16

awesome. (can i play with your camera sometime?) (at least this lens)
they are all beautiful, what you would see in a field guide. that one with the titmouse jumping into flight. that one is fantastic. the energy captured, it is great.
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote