Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 19, 2009, 7:14 PM   #11

Like Scott, I'm really impressed with the grebe shots. I have never had much success shooting these little guys. I played hide and seek with one for about thirty minutes last weekend and never got anything that made it past the editing window.

The grey skies and vultures remind me too much of my front yard lately for me to like those photos too well. That's about all I've had to shoot from my perch out front for the last several weeks as all of my regulars appear to have deserted my feeders.

Beautiful rendering of the greens of fall. Really nice color saturation.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:33 PM   #12

Beautiful shots. I think the grebe pictures are great -- a magazine publisher might say they're a bit soft, but for most purposes, they're entirely useable.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:15 PM   #13

Thanks for the walk, just shows there is always shots to take, no matter the weather.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:55 AM   #14

Thanks to all for the kind & positive comments!

GJTOTH - Glad you enjoyed them, and hope you'll be able to get out on the next damp day!

Dr. C - Thanks for your kind words. I agree with you - cloudy dark days are great for the colors of Creation!

Scott - those are AMAZING grebe photos! Any tips for getting that close (other than the patience which I seem to be sorely lacking...)?

Paul - Reminds me of a comic strip (I think it's called "pickles"): Grandpa and Grandson have hiked up a mountain, and Grandpa says they have to leave right away - "At my age," he says, "I can't stand still too long or the vultures start circling!"

Mtnman - Thanks so much!

Rodney - Thanks!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 9:24 AM   #15

Another wonderful walk with Mole. Love all the shots.

The Pie-billed Grebe shot is great; they are hard to get close to for photographing.

I got closer to one than I wanted to this fall. On a nature walk with a birding club one of the members who is the warden at a meadow here in Andover found a dead PBG and brought it for us to look at close up before he took it to the Joppa Flats MA Audubon to see if they wanted to have it to mount for their exhibit.

The bird had no mark of harm so they thought that perhaps it had flown into a window pain as is common in a more urban area.

The interesting thing was examining the Grebes legs and feet as it is a part of the bird we seldom are able to see. The toes were lightly webbed and the legs longer than I expected.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 5:40 AM   #16

Lou - thanks so much. Yes, Grebes are amazing little birds - thanks for sharing your fascinating sanctuary experience.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote