Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 27, 2009, 6:39 PM   #1
Default Hey Gang, I'm back, sort of...

I'm logged in as GW's friend because I'm at a friends house and he let me set up an account so I could log on and touch base with you.

First I want to say Wow! I'm overwhelmed with all the support and advice I've gotten from everybody. I was very depressed and ready to sell all my gear that wasn't taken and just give up on photography all together. The total loss was nearly $14000 and the insurance will cover $2000 in theft and maybe that much or a little more after prorating for depreciation for the vandalism.
Then I went to the library and was able to get on and read all the messages from everyone here, especially the one from neilcrichton, and realized I had a lot to be grateful for. I want to send a big thank you to all of you for the support and words of encouragement, I can't begin to tell you how much it means to me. You are all a great bunch of people and very special to me. One member even went to the trouble to call me and offer his help, Rajan, all I can say is, God bless you! and everyone else too.To those who have sent me PM's I'm not able to get them yet but as soon as I get back online with my own computer I'll be able to get back on my regular log in, and I will get back to you.
I managed to get a few pix of the damages but not before I had already started to clean up a little, it suddenly hit me I should take pictures! anyway, you can get an idea what we came home to.

This was my first clue something just wasn't like it was when I left that morning...

First thing I saw when I walked into the living room.

They weren't interested in my stereo or VCR's (one cost me $1000 and was for editing tapes ) all the took was the DVD player that cost less than $100 and they kicked in my tower speakers that cost $1600 (not the little book shelf speaker on the floor)

They didn't take Linda's computer, just destroyed it.

and the printers. ran all down inside of it too.

the shelf I had the printers on and the phone charger, modem and router. the bare spot is where my AA battery charger was sitting with a dozen batteries stacked on top. the acid in the juice really ate up the batteries, I suppose since it was plugged in that didn't help matters much.

then there was the bedroom... that's where they hit the jack pot and got Linda's cash she had stashed away.

All in all, it could have been a lot worse. I have a lot to be thankful for!
Thank you my friends for reminding me!
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2009, 6:45 PM   #2

How awful! They were sure destructive, I still can't believe how anyone could do something like this. Hope you'll get things back to normal eventually.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2009, 6:58 PM   #3

hard to believe what some people can do - totally senceless - theft aside why indescrimiately vandalise everything they didn't haul away?

hope the police catch and crucify the people who did this!
Pentax-DA 12-24mm f4 | Pentax-DA* 16-50mm f2.8 | Pentax-A 50mm f1.4 | Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro | Pentax-DA* 60-250mm f4 | Sigma 150-500mm
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2009, 9:37 PM   #4

GW, as I said before I'm just sickened by this crime. I also hope the crooks are caught soon. My offer for the K100D stiil stands -- just let me know. Keep your spirits up, friend.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:43 AM   #5

There's almost nothing worse than having one's home violated. One can almost understand someone breaking in to steal money or items of value. But all of this malicious destruction is the sign of a sick mind. I hope you're insured. But if it's not enough, it looks like you already have some offers that'll get you back to shooting pictures before long. Maybe once you've had a chance to organize your thoughts, you can post a list of your most-urgent photo needs. I'm sure many of us have extra "stuff." The best of luck to you.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:51 AM   #6

Terrible to see such senseless vandalism and destruction.

I hope the perps are caught and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

I know a while back you posted pictures of vandalism in a park near you that you reported to the sheriff's office. Could these two incidents be connected?

My thoughts are with you.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:17 PM   #7

GW, this is just heart breaking. I do not understand why someone would do such a thing. While I do not condone stealing, at least with a thief they take, and are gone.

These individuals are just plan SICK, to steal and destroy everything you own. At least your family is Safe. These material things can be replaced. Your family is in our (my family's) prayers, and I hope these individuals are caught and receive the punishment they deserve.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 6:16 PM   #8

GW, words cannot express my feelings on this.. As others have said, your family is safe, and material possessions can be replaced. All we can do is live our lives the way we were taught is right, and deal with the criminal element as they appear. Know that you and yours are in all our prayers, hang in there...

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 9:53 PM   #9

How horrible! I could not imagine coming home to that..bad enough to invade your home but destroy it s well.We are thinking of you here.
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 1:20 AM   #10

This is a problem every where any one goes that I know and I know how it feels as well... man with all that its a wonder that you did not have any kind of cams up to thwart the idiots.I get a lot of hackers but as well I know that the Gov is watching mine... you did not notice any one odd watching your place the few weeks before this happened did you?.... I am really looking at adding more cams to my own home and getting another dog and of course we have a loaded bit and the baseball bats are all handy as well... Now why would the gov be watching me well my granddad was a FBI and then my Aunt works for the IRS by the way they would not let me file a loss that way either though I had over 4,000. invested in my lap in programs and the cost of the laptop its was a small town hick HR Block that did my taxes and as well well I wont go there....and they say that the computer companies can track them computers but they wont... but you still have to have a police report... and that tomato sauce it gets into the stuff and acts like acid slowly eating it away... Yes always take pictures of all the costly stuff and heck if there was a fire would insurance replace it not I have been there as well... its like make a separate place each and have copies and make a safe for all the other originals in ground is best.... Why do these people do what they do so the sales go up so the insurances go up so they can get even for some reason or other... was there some connection in the voting issue I can vote because they whom ever know whom I vote for so I can vote but I had before now days since they have been talking to me 24/7 I cant and will not vote my privacy is taken.. I am so sorry and if I had any way I could help I would believe me but I am strapped as it is I only get a lousey 500. a month to live on and my own bills take it all.. Thankful I can at least live with a drunken idiot...hopefully to get my business on the road so I have more to live with.. wishes her brother and grandfather were not as they had been all cause a idiot jumped out with a knife at my grandfathers throat when I was living ok in the Udist House that he owned... time to call in some very important people to cut the crimes....Heck I remember mom walking up stairs right into the face of a gun of some kid whom robbed a roomie there...we have been thru some hell....
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote