Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:48 AM   #11

Gorgeous photos. Thank you very much for taking us along. I've read about slot canyons, and I very much want to visit one (or more) before it's too late. For now though, I'll just have to be satisfied with your amazing pictures. I agree with the comments about the 10-17 lens -- it seems perfectly suited to these canyon photos.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 11:40 AM   #12

Simply wow!!!
Lawrence Culbertson
Sequim, WA

K5, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tamron 70-200 2.8, Panasonic LX5, Canon G15
Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 12:46 PM   #13

Showed my wife your pictures. She felt that some of your pictures are quite remarkable and the rock formations themselves ...fascinating subjects.

She has a critical, discerning eye. High Praise.

Last edited by lesmore49; Dec 23, 2009 at 12:49 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 3:37 PM   #14

Hi Harriet,

I took the liberty of doing some PF removal work on two of your pics from this series. With the stuff I shoot, this has become a normal part of my PP workflow for a lot of shots.

Most PF correction tools desaturate blue/magenta to correct, and this leaves you with gray areas instead of purple. This method may also effect the colors in other areas of the pic where it's unwanted.

I use PSPPX2, but I think the tool is included in most PP software packages. I use the clone brush in Color mode at about 20% opacity and hardness to 0 to clone the natural color over the purple. This mode will only change color, and will not effect shading and detail.

Choose an area where the color is similar to what the effected area should be -- it can be anywhere in the frame -- and set this as your source. In PSP, I can also choose whether or not the clone source is aligned with the target or not. If the source area is small, then not aligned is a better choice, and every time you start cloning, the source returns to the area you first chose regardless of where you've moved the target.

You have to watch out that the source area doesn't have any pure black or white areas because these will cause some bizarre colors to be cloned, otherwise the shading in the source doesn't much matter.

Clone the color onto the effected area -- the low opacity will force you to multiple applications to get rid of the purple, but I think it's more effective to get a natural look, but YMMV. You can be sloppy at this, and in the first example, I didn't have to worry because the sky was blown out, so the color couldn't change. In situations like the second example, where you have some background color, you'd get some overrun where areas of the sky get changed. Once the purple is eliminated, You can correct the overrun by cloning the sky color (using a lighter blue area as the source) back where it should be. I also increased the hardness of the brush to 40% to give the brush more of an edge.

This isn't a one click solution, but I like having more control over the process, and even with pretty extensive CA/PF, it really only takes a couple of minutes per shot and is worth it to improve those shots I want to keep.

I've attached the original and the result so they will be side-by-side.
Attached Images
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 5:40 PM   #15

Hi Harriet, I have been monitoring the forum for a while and your shots made me chime in and add my praise, great shots
Just got back into Pentax

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 6:22 PM   #16

Scott - your edit is awesome! I'll have to try that on the originals as I had real problems with both PF and CA on the originals. The 10-17 has a lot of both, and it turned out to be really difficult to deal with on the HDR versions. PhotoMatix has an option to correct CA, but it didn't seem to help that much, and the other problem was that it was in slightly different places because of the different parts of the scene blowing out in the series. I got frustrated trying to correct it and just gave up.

Photoshop has the color mode for the clone tool - I can do the same thing, I think. I can't wait to try it!!

The Upper Antelope Canyon is an easy walk with no ladders, so everyone can add it onto their bucket list.

Thanks, all for the compliments. It's relatively easy to take good pictures as the scene is so unique.

Hnikesch - Welcome back to Pentax, post what you think of the Km and your old manual lenses. I'm using mine less and less as time goes by, but they are still fun to use occasionally.

There are those that say that the upper canyon is better than the lower one. It's certainly more accessible, and I understand that in summer, the sun can reach the canyon floor, which it never does in the lower canyon. I can't address that, since I've only been to the lower one. The upper one and a trip on Lake Powell will have to wait for the next trip.

Last edited by mtngal; Dec 23, 2009 at 10:31 PM.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 7:56 PM   #17

Wonderful shots Harriet!
I have that area on my short list but, I wonder sometimes if I'll ever be able to get started on it! Meanwhile, I'll just enjoy these pix. Good job.

And Scott, I'm very impressed with your edit!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:39 PM   #18

I don't know about submitting them to PPG - don't think that they are THAT good. And it's always seemed to me that getting a picture accepted means a time obligation - you'd need to vote on those pictures submitted by others. I still don't feel like I know enough to judge other's pictures, not to mention that I can barely keep up with the boards I want to.

Here's the middle exposure for one of the pictures above:

As you can see, the rock is still a bit underexposed and the sky and some of the rock is blown out.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 3:45 PM   #19
Default Time to go pro?

Harriet, I've said it before but I repeat:

Following your development as a photographer have been a very inspireing experience. There was nothing wrong with your pictures four years ago, but...
these knock me to the floor!
Time to look for an agent? And maybe you can hire Scott for pp, pro's don't do that themselves.
You guys give me something to strive for!

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2009, 4:31 PM   #20

Thanks for the compliment, Kjell! Don't think an agent is in my future - while I'd love to sell some of my pictures to recoup some of the cost of my lenses, there's no way I could be a pro. Photography will always be a labor of love and a way to have fun for me. When I try to "shoot to order" the pictures are always missing something - they are boring, look forced and wrong. My pictures are only good when there's something out there that captures me in some way, I have to be involved with my subject. And there's no trouble taking great pictures with good equipment when the location is so fabulous. Dan might not know what the word aperture means or how to change it, but he sure took his fair share of beautiful pictures.

I LOVE Scott's suggestion for using color mode for the clone tool to deal with CA/PF - that's simply awesome! I can't draw a straight line, so I figured out a way to deal with edges that are against blue sky - make two layers, do the color clone on the top one and don't mind if you go a bit over the top of the sky (as Scott said, it doesn't matter if the sky is blown out, there's nothing there to color. But it does matter if the sky is blue). Then select the bottom, original layer, use quick select tool to select the sky, click on the top layer with the outline of the sky still indicated and then click on the icon for layer mask. That creates a mask that's opposite of what you want, in CS4 go to the mask screen and click inverse (or inverse the selection before you create the layer mask). That will block the sky from the top layer, letting the original layer's sky show through. If there's any CA that appears because the selection wasn't quite right, just use the paint brush on the layer mask to block it out - that seemed to be quicker/easier for me than undoing and redoing the cloning when I went over into a blue sky. Thanks again for the advice!