Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 25, 2009, 10:37 PM   #1

Default Gandalf Murphy & the Slambovian Circus of Dreams

I suspect few of you have heard of the musical group called Gandalf Murphy and the Slambovian Circus of Dreams. They have toured throughout North America, Europe, and China, but still they are not all that well known. The band members are close friends with the music teacher at our local highschool, so every once in a while they come to our area. They played in our town last week, and they arranged ahead of time for some members of the local high school band to join them for several songs. It was a real thrill for the kids, and it was great fun for everyone.

Lighting was very dim, which of course is not an ideal situation for Pentax DSLRs. I took these photos with the K20, set to ISO 1600, with the FA 50mm lens, opened up to f1.7. I thought the pics came out okay, though they're certainly nothing exceptional. Still, they bring back memories of a night that was a lot of fun!
Attached Images

mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:10 PM   #2

rikmeister, it's very difficult to classify their music. If I remember correctly, they refer to their music as "folk-rock-hilbilly Floyd." The best way to get a sense of their music is to check out their web site: www.slambovia.com

There are also many videos of live performances on YouTube. Some are very well done; others not so much. Listening to the samples on their we site and looking at a few videos will give you a good sense of their musical style.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:23 PM   #3

I think you did very well in a difficult lighting situation. I know it was a lot of fun for the high school kids to get up there with them.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:06 PM   #4

Having just tries to take pictures of my granddaughter's high school play I know just how difficult it is. The kids look like they are having a blast.

Nice job Mtnman!
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:30 PM   #5

I think they're better than OK! As I found recently, there's never enough light and the band members keep moving!!!

However, the K-7 plus ISO1600 (plus the f1.7 lens) certainly coped very well.
Ke1th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:15 PM   #6

I agree with Keith, if you could just get our subjects to stand still, life would be much simpler.

What a great thing to do for the kids!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote