Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 29, 2010, 6:45 PM   #1
Default Just Got the K7. My God!

Ok, like a little kid in the candy store I waited all day anxiously to get my new toy ( thank god I had to sign for it....hate to have had it sitting on my porch!). UPS dropped it off this afternoon and all I can say is--unbelievable! I've upgraded from a ist DS to a K2000 to the K7 and there aren't enough words to explain how great this camera is. I haven't had a chance to play with it a whole lot of course but the first few shots I took were amazing. The handling is great, the interface-although different--is perfect, and the output is fantastic. Usually shooting at a low shutter speed I get very dark photos in low light with my Sigma lens at 2.8. Same shots with K7 blew me away at 1/10 shutter, 800 iso and no flash! Smooth and bright. And I'm even impressed with the built in flash. I kick myself for not waiting and buying this model instead of the K2000.

I purchased it at Abes of Maine which I was a little weary of due to mixed reviews but everything was as advertised. I bought the kit that came with another battery, 8 gb card, and cleaning kit. I can't say they're the best but the price was good for what I got. Here's the link:

So moral of the story is if you want to get into photography you should really invest in the right camera. The K2000 is great for the average photographer but I feel that Pentax has made huge steps with the K7. Thank you Mtngal for your opinion and info on both this and the K20D. I think I'm happy with the purchase even though my bank account hates me! LOL Best to you all!

maverick96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2010, 7:41 PM   #2

Congratulations....Now for the LBA to kick in...then your bank account will really hate you!! LOL
Big Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 7:56 PM   #3

Congratulations Maverick!

Hey Ed... you trying to stir up trouble?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 8:17 PM   #4

Well done! I'm not surprised that you find the K-7 a big step up, it's really a very nice camera. You really couldn't go wrong with either camera, but the K-7 is SO nice...

P.S. One of the things that I always said, until I got the K-7, was that I wouldn't want to do without the top monitor. I used it a great deal with other cameras, but the more I use the K-7 and it's different interface and LCD options, the less I use the top monitor (though I do still use it). I now don't feel like it would be a big deal to buy a camera without one, as long as it uses the same interface.

Last edited by mtngal; Jan 30, 2010 at 8:20 PM.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:04 PM   #5

Thanks Guys!

Mtngal, I agree that I use the LCD screen to do the settings more than the top. I think it looks cool with the green light though! I like how the LCD is like a Iphone where it turns when you rotate the camera. Pretty cool. Again, leaps from the lower ends. Thanks again!
maverick96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 6:09 AM   #6

Congratulations on your new purchase. Will look forward to seeing some of your great photography soon!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 8:36 PM   #7

Congratulations, Maverick. It's a wonderful camera. You'll have lots of fun getting used to all its ins and outs. I'm still learning on mine after several months.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 8:06 PM   #8

Congratulations, Maverick. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I'm still learning all the little things about my K20 after a year of having it. And, yes, LBA will kick in at some point. I am anxiously awaiting delivery of a Zenitar 16mm fisheye right now. I thought it might have been here today when I got home from work. But, maybe tomorrow.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 5:29 AM   #9

Gratz Maverick! Great choice, wonderful camera! Let's see some images. Two things I really love, the view finder, and auto white balance, both are best in class.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote