Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 31, 2010, 8:46 PM   #11
Super Moderator

these look great. looks like an awesome place to shoot, and you made the most of it. well done!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 6:13 AM   #12

A fine and very interesting assortment. Looks like a very well-planned zoo - keeping as natural a habitat for each as possible. Thanks for sharing all these great "critter " portraits.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 2:42 PM   #13

Some real beauties in there John ! A lovely series anyone would be proud of.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:12 PM   #14

>> All the photos were taken with my Pentax K-7
>> and my Sigma 150-500mm lens[/QUOTE]

First off, John, excellent photos! Thanks.

If I may ask, I am going to buy a camera soon, Pentax K-7 is one cameras I have been considering. I am told that pictures tend to be underexposed. Do you find that to be so? Your pictures are really outstanding. Thanks for sharing them.

All the best.

Ned Brockwell
Jyväskylä, Finland
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 4:08 PM   #15

cant say i have noticed any real exposure problems with the k7 - obviously difficult conditions can confuse matrix metering but thats true for any camera - in normal conditions metering in generally spot on

if you personally feel it is underexposing slightly then the exposure compensation has a dedicated button and the camera remembers it so unless you reset it will stay set

but personally i only use it when shooting in bright snowy conditions like these or shooting dark subjects accordingly
Pentax-DA 12-24mm f4 | Pentax-DA* 16-50mm f2.8 | Pentax-A 50mm f1.4 | Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro | Pentax-DA* 60-250mm f4 | Sigma 150-500mm
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:36 PM   #16

An excellent series, John. Looks like a great trip, a fun day.

Ned - I have the K-7 also and find that it's metering is very consistent and accurate (assuming I'm using the appropriate metering method for the subject). My K20 always tends to underexpose a bit, so I keep it set to Ev +.3 but the K-7 is much more accurate and I leave it at Ev 0. My K-7 is the first Pentax dSLR camera that I've ever owned that DOESN'T slightly/somewhat underexpose.
mtngal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 6:47 AM   #17

Ned - I've also got the K7 and I know what you are alluding to. Some of the reviews pointed out a slight coldness in comparison to some of it's competitors. That said I've been very happy with the output and have not felt the need to adjust it's standard treatment of jpegs yet, however you can easily 'warm them up' if you want to. There's a plethora of tweaking (in the menu) you can set so the output is always to your preferred temperature (it won't revert unless you reset to factory settings).
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:54 AM   #18

Great series John thanks for sharing them.

I will also chime in that my K-7 also gives great metering and seldom needs my intervention. As Frogfish said if you don't like the way the pictures look there are a multitude of options to choose from to make them to your liking.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote