Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:38 PM   #11

Lovely series ! What combination were you using ?
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 6:58 AM   #12

More great bird shots. Mole, you're the master. Love the CW. Have only seen one once up here and that was many years ago.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 2:58 PM   #13

Gary - Glad you liked them. Yes, those Waxwings are like racoons in more than looks - they sure are good at "stealing" the mockingbirds' food!

Tundraguy - Thanks so much. Glad you enjoyed "peeping!"

GW - Thanks! I have lots of really bad pictures of the waxwings - they're just too fast for my old brain... Glad you liked the bluebird too!

Ned - And thanks for looking!

Harriet - Thanks so much! Yes they are indeed very shy - but Gary (gjtoth) sure gets great shots of them at his suet feeder!

Frogfish - All taken with Pentax K-M and the Pentax SMC 135-600 F6.7 zoom.

Lou - Thanks for your kind words. Not at all a master, but blessed to have lots of birds to practice on!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 4:07 PM   #14

Originally Posted by mole View Post
Of course, Cedar trees mean snacks for Cedar Waxwings. These were the noisy guys that first drew my attention to the cedar party. Much too fast for my slow hands & brain, but got a few shots of these "party animals."
Mole, in my humble opinion, and I truly mean this... these two shots were wonderful... you have two pictures that in my opinion are certainly worthy of being in any book about birds. I took the picture on the right and messed around with it to see what technical improvements I would make, perhaps in terms of sharpness... I note this, not as a criticism, but because your pictures here about as spot on as they can be... the composition is just perfect... Really, thanks for sharing these with us. You really have a talent for photographing birds and scenery.

Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 5:13 PM   #15

I like them all, but there is something special about the second one with the Flicker in the foreground and in focus and the Bluebird in the background (past the depth of field focus).

Really grabs me as we used to say in the '60's.

As you do, I have a little Pentax KM...sometimes use with my 55-300. I think it's a much under rated little DSLR...kind of falls under the shadow of the KX.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 8:20 PM   #16

Wonderful shots. So sharp and you've captured character in these birds.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:01 AM   #17

Ned - am humbled by your too kind words! I am blessed to live where there are many beautiful photo opportunities, and sure do enjoy sharing them. Thanks!

Les - Thanks so much! That was an almost accidental shot - was focusing on the flicker, and the bluebird just happened by at the right moment. I agree that the K-M is a fine little camera (only one I can afford!!). You do some great work with yours too!

Patty - Thanks muich! Glad you enjoyed these...

PS - went back the next day to check on the party, and ALL the berries (and nearly all the birds) were gone!
Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:59 PM   #18

all beautiful shots, but i LOVE the cedar waxwing pair. i bet mom would love it as well!
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:30 PM   #19

Waxwings are known to get falling down drunk on fermented berries - I guess these got cleaned out before they could get to that stage, so no pics of tipsy Waxwings. Maybe next year. Really nice shots - Bluebird colors are hard to reproduce accurately.
If life brings you lemons, you can make lemonade.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 6:28 AM   #20

Vole - Thanks! Did you see the rest of the Bluebird photos at the Wildlife section of the forum? You'll probably like the one on the fence the best...

Penolta - Thanks so much! Yes, the berries were all gone by the next day. I'm still searching for another tree with a good crop...