Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:24 AM   #11

When you get your camera, play around with it.

1) Try out higher ISO settings and see what you are happy with. (When I turn up the ISO, I get grainy shots, but I think they have a nice feel to them. Like using old fashion high-speed film.) But with a new K-X you should get really nice results.

2) Turn on lots of lights. And if possible, aim these lights.

3) During the day, take pictures by windows and use the nice directional sunlight.

4) I think a zoom lens is faster (lets in more light) when it is at its widest setting (ie. 18mm) versus its longest setting (55mm). So if you're pushing the envelope, try taking wide angle shots?

5) If you are still concerned about flash, but might consider an external flash, you can bounce the flash off the ceiling to diffuse it.

6) Play around, take lots of pictures & have fun!

Take care,
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 3:43 PM   #12

Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
Yes you can with good available light and child that will stay still long enough so there is no motion blur. This one was done in a very well lit room with plenty of sunshine.
biddawg, I presume this is your granddaughter??? If so, you should try to replicate the facial position of #3, with proper lighting... and take a picture... very nice picture...

Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:01 PM   #13

Originally Posted by KOT1317 View Post
Does anybody here know if i can use Pentax K-X 18-55 mm to photograph kids indoors without using flash light? Becasue i found the FA50/1.4 is way too expensive.
Thanks for adive,

My answer is yes. This was taken at F8 (definitely with no flash indoor by window) and the subject could not have been more skittish compared with a kid.
Taken with Tamron 90mm

I maxed out on iso

Focal Length 90 mm
Exposure Time 1/60 sec
Aperture f/8
ISO Equivalent 800

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote