Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:12 PM   #1
Default Orchard in Snow

I woke up at about 6:30 AM on Saturday Morning. We had a fresh snow of about five inches or so. The sun was just rising and I could see the pink hues infusing the light.

I heaved myself out of bed and got my kit together quickly. Out the door and up the hill to a dirt road that is bordered by old apple trees.

When I arrived there were blue skies to the north... a very pale yet vivid blue... There was also some light ground fog along the borders of the woods and in the center of the fields. To the south and east there was a large gray cloud coming in... fast.

By the time I found a scene I wanted to shoot and set up, the ground fog had dissipated and the cloud was starting to obscure the sun. The first three in the following sequence show just how quickly the cloud progressed. By the third shot it had nearly obscured the blue sky.

The fourth shot was rather murky and looks better in black and white. I know there is a bit of noise but I kind of like it, being quite comfortable with film. It is not unpleasant to my eye. C&C welcome. Thanks for looking. Seaain

Pentax K10D with Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DG HSM

seaain.gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:50 PM   #2

Seaain, wonderful photos,all. Number three shows great perspective, and the last reminds me of an Oak tree from my boyhood in Texas. I don't own a wide angle, or shoot many landscapes, but when I see pictures like these and your Nevada(?) Panorama, it gives me pause...

Always use tasteful words - you may have to eat them.
You cannot find knowledge by rearranging your ignorance.

My Flickr

Hawgwild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:49 PM   #3

Very nice shots! I love them, well done. I second one isn't as strong a shot to me as the other three - the one branch coming in from the upper right, with no trunk to go with it, is somewhat distracting in my opinion. My favorite is the first one, barely, because I like the light. The road in the third one really leads me into the shot - I want to walk down that road. And the last one is beautiful with the fresh snow.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 6:11 AM   #4

Great capture of the subtle, delicate tones & interesting lines. Despite the growing clouds, I find the last to be the most attractive of all - but all are wonderful!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 6:19 AM   #5

Neat pictures... especiall 3 and 4. Thanks

Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:14 PM   #6

Don't know how I managed to miss this thread yesterday but, better late than never.
I like the composition of #3 better than the first 2 but, the contrast is better in the first two. I really like the B&W shot. The noise doesn't bother me but, if it did its nothing a little noise reduction wouldn't fix. Nice job.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:14 PM   #7

I agree with all the previous comments. very nice shots indeed. I also want to take a stroll down that freshly plowed road in shot #3.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote