Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:59 PM   #1
Default "HDR" sort of with PSE8

Talked my husband into running by my glass building on the way home from grocery shopping yesterday. (It's not really on the way home.)

Anyway, I played around with multiple exposures like Harriet had suggested but, I don't have any HDR software. So, just used the Photomerge Exposure option in PSE8. Some were merged with 5 shots, some I only used 3 of the 5. I know there are some free downloads out there, but I'm determined to not stay up late tonight playing on the computer.

What do you think of these? Is this better? Do you like the first or second of the top of the building ones? I'm realizing the wind must have been blowing a little when I took these, too, as the tree didn't merge well. Also, it's a good thing this building is away from the road. I was laying on the ground on my back shooting straight up to get the full effect of the building in the 2nd and 3rd. The other one I used the tripod.

Attached Images
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:33 PM   #2

The first one works really nicely, the others not as well because of the ghosting. With those - you have such strong lines. I'd probably take the exposure you like best of the reflection, and the one you like best of the sky then put them on top of each other (different layers). Select the part you don't want of the top layer and add a layer mask to block that part out, letting the part from the other layer show through.

One of the things I find with HDR is that it evens things out so much, that you sometimes lose the feeling of shape and depth - there's not enough contrast to give you that sense. There's a bit of that with your second two, though not as much as I've seen in other shots. You don't have that problem with the first one because of the geometry.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:46 PM   #3

Hi Patty,

I really like the first shot!

I think I like the first crop better, and might even like it better if it was rotated to vertical. IMO, the ghosting in the trees is a bit disturbing, but this is from someone who is a bit obsessed about every slight bit of sight deterioration, so take it for what it's worth.

Good job!

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 1:15 PM   #4

Patty, your first shot is just so spot on. You have a good eye for design! Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 1:35 PM   #5

Patty, I want to see a photo of you lying on the ground taking those shots!

I like the first one, on my monitor it seems like it need a tad more contrast but, rely on me me, my monitor is probably to blame.
The others don't do that much for me.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:44 PM   #6

The first one is so cool, well done.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 9:02 AM   #7

I like the first one. Somehow the view seems larger than the one in this month's challenge. The effect you got is very nice indeed.

The other shots Patty, the only way to do that is to stand on your head and shoot! LOL

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 5:11 PM   #8

Harriet - Thanks. Looking at them now a few days later I'm not liking the ghosting either. I will try what you said with layering and see what I can come up with.

Scott, Ned and Rodney - Thank you. I'm always attracted to geometric patterns, buildings, etc.

GW - You will NEVER see a photo of me lying on the ground. Unless I'm dead, of course. Yes, on the monitor I'm on right now I'm seeing the first could use more contrast.

Lou - Yes, I think this view is wider than my challenge one. I have some others I want to play with that I took vertically, too. Standing on my head will never happen. So, don't watch for it.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 3:25 AM   #9

i like the first one too, all those curved lines and reflected reflections
i cant get my head around the other two lol
whats reflection, whats real, whats the pointy things???
i usually trust the levels histogram for contrast
i admit too that i am not keen on HDRs that end up looking like "flat" cartoons, i like them subtle
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote