Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:09 PM   #11

The sun dogs don't look like what I'm seeing. Here is an image from another page that's similar to what I'm seeing.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/s...nrise2.jpg?o=5 See how the bright yellow goes to paler yellow then the definite edge around it all.

Mine looks like the spot is a wet spot on the picture if it were printed. I'm at work right now (not working, it's after hours) so can't work on the image to repost.

Just thought I'd find something similar to what I'm seeing. Since it's a RAW file and I'm bringing it into PSE8 which usually converts to 8 bit (I think that's it). But, then again, I'm seeing it in the RAW, but not in the converted to jpg. I'll see if I can take a jpg picture of it on my laptop and post without any conversion except for resizing. And, I'll load on my desktop and see if I see the same thing.

Thanks for the tips, though. Quite interesting.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:54 PM   #12

Well Patty,
I was just about to wright it off as the rantings of a crazy woman... Then I decided to try something else. I turned on my secondary monitor, It's a 15" CRT and generally photos look pretty good on it. Anyway, I drug your sunset pix over to view on it and lo and behold, I can see what you're talking about! the graduated colors look totally different on that monitor than they do on my big LCD. which I find really strange because I've never noticed anything like that on other photos that I've viewed on both monitors. I don't understand it so, I cant help any but, at least I can confirm what you are seeing and vouch that you aren't totally crazy.

The only other thing I thought I'd mention is the second photo is slightly over exposed, or at least it looks that way on my monitor.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:22 PM   #13

Okay, home now. This is what I'm discovering.

Tilting the laptop monitor I'm seeing it here on the web page. My monitor is set at 32 bit and 1680 x 1050 resolution.

I opened the RAW image in Picasa Viewer and Pentax Browser and I can see it in both. Although, it looks different in each.

This is the data from PhotoMe if it helps any. I was spot metering off different spots in the sky or the beach. Not sure where on these ones. The camera was on a tripod using my remote.

PhotoME version: 0.79R17 (Build 856)
File name: C:\Documents and Settings\Patty\My Documents\1_Pentax on laptop\K2007996.PEF
File type: Pentax Camera RAW
File size: 13,581.3 KB
Creation date: 4/4/2010 06:23
Last modification: 4/4/2010 06:23
Make: PENTAX (http://www.pentax.com)
Camera: PENTAX K20D
Lens: Tamron AF 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical [IF] MACRO
Software: K20D Ver 1.03
Dimension: 4864 x 3136 px (15.3 MP)
Focal length: 110 mm (equiv. 165 mm)
Aperture: F16
Exposure time: 1/13" (+1 EV)
ISO speed rating: 400/27
Program: Aperture Priority
Metering Mode: Spot
White Balance: Auto (Cloudy)
Focus Mode: AF-S
Image Stabilizer: not ready
Noise Reduction: Off
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Image width: 4864 px
Image height: 3136 px
Number of bits per component: 12
Compression scheme: Pentax PEF Compressed
Pixel scheme: CFA (Color Filter Matrix)
Manufacturer: PENTAX
Image input equipment model: PENTAX K20D
Image data location: 0x0001AF44
Orientation of image: 0 (top/left)
Number of components: 1
Number of rows per strip: 3136 rows
Bytes per compressed strip: 12531631 bytes
Image resolution in width direction: 72 dpi
Image resolution in height direction: 72 dpi
Image data arrangement: Chunky Format (Interleaved)
Unit of X and Y resolution: inch
Software: K20D Ver 1.03
File change date and time: 2010-04-04 06:23:47
Exif IFD Pointer: 0x00000156

Maybe it's just that those portions of the image are overexposed. If I zoom in on the images, the parts that are brighter are smooth, where the darker parts are noisy and speckled.

I'll have to look at it on my desktop tomorrow.

Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:26 PM   #14

Thanks, GW, for realizing I'm not a crazy woman! Although, some wouldn't think so. My son for one! Or, my coworkers lately. They've heard me say some things they've never heard come out of my mouth in 17 years.

But, I'm glad to see you and frogrish are seeing what I'm seeing.