Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 25, 2010, 9:43 PM   #1
Default New Pentax K-X!!!!! So now how do I use it???

Just received the Pentax K-X with an 18-55 and 55-300. Preliminarily, very nice. I am however very limited. I understand in concept the ideas of playing off Shutter versus Aperature and using ISO. The included book is very helpful in telling me which buttons to push.

Leaving on vacation in 2 1/2 weeks to Alaska. Playing around as much as possible but feeling very limited none the less. No time to take a real photo class in the area.... Any recommendations on how to get more educated in such a short period of time? Any online sites? Youtube??
craboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2010, 10:22 PM   #2

You could google "SLR Photography Tips" or more specific topics like controlling depth of field - hope no one minds a link here http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...h-of-field.htm

With a vacation in 2 1/2 weeks you will get overwhelmed with information on the internet, so get out and take some photos - get to know your camera. Have a blast!
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 11:20 PM   #3

Just put the camera into Av or Tv and follow along with the youtube workshops.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 11:55 PM   #4

I would add that this is a great community with very quick feedback to your posts. So once you have a few shots where you want to know what went wrong or how to do something - then post them here and the experienced guys n gals will painlessly set you straight ! Stay on here and you will learn a lot .... I know I am.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 12:16 AM   #5

Hi craboi,

I'd try the Automatic modes and see if they give you results that you like. 2.5 weeks, will probably not give you enough time to really sort out the more advanced features of the camera and lenses considering that you also have to prepare for the other aspects of the trip. The Auto modes work well, and will allow you to get shots in just about any lighting situation you may encounter while eliminating a lot of mistakes caused by forgetting about changing one important setting.

What you need to do is get used to the basics of handling the camera, discovering the limits of battery life, memory needs, how much noise you can tolerate, and how it shoots in the more extreme lighting conditions you might encounter. The Kx was designed to handle most of these, but you still have to make some decisions, so try shooting a lot with each lens, in a wide variety of lighting situations so you won't be caught by surprise. Remember that a noisy sharp shot is better than a blurry clean one, so don't get caught up in getting too fussy about ultimate Image Quality -- I think you'll be happier capturing good sharp exposures -- IQ can be enhanced later in PP at your leisure -- if you miss the moment, you can't go back. . .

Take a lot of shots just to get used to handling the camera -- the film's free. Use what you learn about battery life and memory usage to get enough of each to last the trip, and get used to carrying spares of both at all times. If you find that your shots don't turn out as you expected, post an example here and ask -- there's lots of experience here, and I'm pretty sure that someone can help. . .

Congrats on your new camera and lenses. I think it will do you very well on your trip.

. . . and welcome to the forum! We'll be looking forward to seeing your pics when you return. . .

Last edited by snostorm; May 26, 2010 at 1:04 AM.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 12:40 AM   #6

Use the scene modes. They are actually pretty good.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 3:51 AM   #7

I agree with snostorm and pboeger. Use the automatic modes and fire away. The most important thing for you will be to take a lot of memory cards and an extra set of batteries or two so you can always be using one set while recharging another. Wish I could be there with you!
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 6:05 AM   #8

Congratulations on your new acquisition! As others have said, be sure to take LOTS of photos in the next few weeks as you can. Try under many different lighting conditions, many different types of subjects, etc. Then take time to look over your results on the computer. Notice which ones worked best, and check the EXIF data to see what F stop, shutter speed, and lens you were using. And have fun with it too!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 2:33 PM   #9

You can find a huge amount of information on the internet, some of it contradictory. And you can find a huge amount of information in books, some of it contradictory. I agree with others - use the auto mode (think of how much money the camera manufacturers put into developing their auto modes - they are usually pretty good for the regular type of shooting most people do), review the pictures and see what you like and dislike. If the camera doesn't give you the results you want, change to Av or Tv or change the ISO to get what you think you want, then compare them. I tend not to delete pictures in camera - sometimes I've thought the camera was wrong, but when I see it actually on the computer monitor, it turns out the camera was more right than I was. Once you are on your vacation you may need to, to save memory.

Like everyone else has said, go out and take lots of pictures. Play with the camera. It's best to have things like changing lenses and cards, battery charging or changing down pat so you don't have to think about it when you are on your trip. In fact, the more comfortable you are with the basic operation of the camera, the better. That leaves you free to consider how to frame your picture and enjoy the scenery. And the best way to gain that comfort is to use the camera.

Have fun with it! Be creative! Don't get too tied in with the technicalities just yet.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 3:59 PM   #10

Well, first let me welcome you to the forum.
And now that you're a member of the best Pentax site on the planet, do be a stranger.
You have a lot of members here willing to share there experience and give constructive criticism.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote