Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 26, 2010, 11:21 PM   #1
Default T-Ball

Tuesday night I had one of those too rare paying assignments ... to do team and individual photos are a T-Ball team. And, since I had done the same team last year, the team mom told me "you have to shoot more action photos... everybody loved them!" Of course, no one bought them........

Still, I stuck around and shot a couple of innings. It was all my side could take from laughing. These guys (and gals) are just too cute. There are, of course, those that are all business.

Even when you're serious, though, it doesn't mean your glove can't be picked

Then there is the guy who rolls over the plate coming to rest right side up and with his own safe call.....

But, even more, T-ball has to be considered with the little girl who saw something interesting in the dirt.

The magiic of kids continues.....lol. All shots taken with the K-7 and the Tamron 70-300 Di LD.

Last edited by Trojansoc; May 27, 2010 at 6:33 AM.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2010, 1:07 AM   #2

Magnificent series, this can't get better.

Keep up the great work

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 6:10 AM   #3

What a wonderful series from the master of sports and portraits. These are priceless - sure do hope the parents appreciate them!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 12:11 PM   #4

Ha ha - so sweet ! Great series Paul
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 1:10 PM   #5

Shame they didn't buy any last time, these are great shots, if they were of my kid, I would gladly put the money down for them.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 1:18 PM   #6

Absolutely adorable shots!! Wonderful expressions!
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 1:18 PM   #7

Lovely shots,
It's great to see kids playings sports and it's even better to have those moments perfectly captured for the rest of your life.

btw next week I'll bee visiting my first real baseball game while I'm on my studytrip in Boston can't wait.

Keep it up
Pentax K-x, DAL 18-55, Tamron 70-300, Sigma 10-20
JC de Jonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 1:24 PM   #8

Paul - nice series. Great expressions, good color, nice and tightly framed. Good job. Only one lacking is #3 - shutter speed was too slow and his head is moving which detracts from a great expression.

As to people liking photos but not buying - welcome to the world of sports photography. I took a look at your sight - even though your prices are extraordinarily low, the problem is shipping costs. People may like a shot or two but who wants to pay $2-3 in shipping for a couple 4x6 photos? If you're selling to a base that is only willing to pay $0.79 for a photo, it's not a base that wants to pay that much of a shipping markup. My advice? If the parents say they're so happy with your action work - then do what I do now - charge a flat fee and give them a disc of the processed images. If the parents aren't willing to pool their money together and pay a flat fee it's not worth your time. In a lot of ways, it is also why most people do T&I only any more. People like to look at action shots but not buy them.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 2:40 PM   #9
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Paul, good captures of action and facial expressions...quite appealing to parents...even though no one wants to buy them. Perhaps you should consider making prints (5 x 7 enlargements for $.99 from Sam's Club), putting them in photo holders (about a dollar each), and offering to sell them at the game itself (say for $5 ea) in order to avoid the dreaded shipping & handling. I've found doing this (for school concerts,etc) have resulted in folks paying me once they see the matted picture. Even if no one pays you, it gets you some good exposure (no pun intended).

If you don't mind a few points of feedback on these images:
a. A blurred background on most of these would really make them stand out. I think you'd need to use a f/2.8 lens in order to get the shallow DoF. Your last image shows what a big difference it makes to have a blurred background vs. the chainlink fence.
b. Some of the images could use some straightening based (sorry for being so picky!).

Wingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 3:15 PM   #10

Nice work, Paul. That lens is pretty sharp!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote