Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:59 PM   #1
Default Input on FE or UW lens

So I've really gotten the bug and jumped head first into photography, and boy am I having fun shooting friends, family, and a lot of creative images!

In the last month I have acquired a new White K-x, Sigma 70-300mm APO, SMC FA-50mm 1.4f, and the kit 18-55mm. These have me pretty well covered, obviously the LBA is starting to take hold and I'm torn on my next lens.

I'm debating the 10-17mm FE and the Sigma 10-20mm, or maybe the 12-24mm although its a little pricey for me at the moment.

I love the 50mm 1.4f right now because I take a lot of shots of either my 3 nephews running around (they are 4, 2 and 6months old, so LOTS of action ) and I also take it out at night with my friends, been taking some bar shots and all sorts of creative shots that I just can't get with anything over 4f i think. However, the 50mm focal length is starting to cramp my style. it's a little too narrow to capture everything I want.

Sooooo for this reason I am leaning towards the 10-17mm FE. I think I would have fun with the aspect of the photos, and I THINK it will be fast enough for some night shots, but I'm not sure.

However, I still really like the 10-20mm sigma. I like the idea of the Ultra Wide angle, however I'm not sure if it's really what I'm looking for. I'm no stranger to Photoshop, been using it daily for the last 10 years or so, currently getting comfy with CS5 so I have no issues correcting the Fish Eye in photoshop so my 10mm shots with the 10-17mm can still be UltraWide if I want to spend the 30 secs it takes to de-fish. Which makes me think this lens I would get more mileage out of.

Any advice? Lost....
TriCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:06 PM   #2

It really comes down to whether you want the fisheye effect even sometimes. I have both the DA 12-24 and the 10-17 FE. They compliment each other rather than compete against each other. I didn't think I'd want a fisheye enough to even bother with it so I bought the 12-24 first. But the 10-17 just wouldn't get out of my mind and now I'm very glad I have both. I'm lazy and I like to see what I'm going to get in the viewfinder, rather than guessing I have enough of what I want to allow some loss due to defishing software. But that's really a personal choice.

The Sigma 10-20 is a pentilinear lens, not a fisheye so it competes with the 12-24. Those that own it seem to really like it - the reason I didn't want one is based on size - it has a 82 mm filter size while the 12-24 is "only" 77 mm (that's plenty big for me). For me the speed gain wasn't important so I chose the smaller size over the extra speed (3.5 vs. 4). From what you say, that speed gain could well be more important for you and would be a better choice.

If you don't mind a manual focus lens, you might think about getting the Sigma and a Zenitar 16mm FE. I don't have one but it's another lens that's well liked by its owners and is cheaper than the 10-17. That would give you both a fisheye and a pentilinear wide angle lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:16 PM   #3

Some great advice from Harriet on the MF lenses.

Personally I have the Sigma 10-20 and this is a great lens (over on Pentax Forums there is a wonderful thread on just the 10-20 with some absolutely amazing shots). It can actually get you some great street shots of people too (when they think you are only shooting portrait). A very versatile lens. Personally I see limited use for a FE and it does seem a lot less acceptance, though a little curiousity, from the general public for it's 'artistic distortion', I guess a lens you would use much less than the 10-20 or 12-24.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote