Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:33 PM   #1
Default and Sophie is gone........

I was making a posting, going back across various posts I had made in the past - that had examples I wanted to reference, and came across this one particular post I made several years ago....
I saw the picture and what I wrote at the time, and it made me stop, because last week we lost our dearly beloved Sophie, suddenly and very unexpectedly. Sophie was 12, had cataracts on her eyes, was still jumping from couch to couch, and racing around the house - maintaining law and order.

It was midnight, and I had gone to bed, my wife let her out in to our back yard for nighttime potty and a couple of minutes later, we heard a yelp and it was all over. Racing out, we saw the coyote go over the wall, and found Sophie over in the corner. She died instantly. Never had coyote problems - but now, my wife patrols the back yard with a flash light along with a shotgun or base ball bat, as she wants to beat the living daylights out of the coyote.

So, we now down to 4 couch potatoes, Daisy, Tahiti, Faith and Striker (as in Strike up the Band) -
and Sophie is gone........

Attached Images
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:31 AM   #2

Hi IO,

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. That's just a terrible way to lose a family member. I'm sure she was being brave and was protecting her home and family. . .

If the coyote has any sense, it will stay far, far away --

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:43 AM   #3

Very sad story IO.

Sounds like she had a great life though !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 4:42 AM   #4

I feel your Pain. Losing a pet is difficult no mater what the circumstances are.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:39 AM   #5

Such a tough experience to go through. Members of our family are no less close just because they have four legs. So sorry to hear about it.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:34 AM   #6

Condolences. We have lost our share as well, but not so violently. I have always been the one to have them put down at the end - at least you were spared that.
If life brings you lemons, you can make lemonade.

Last edited by penolta; Jul 20, 2010 at 11:37 AM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:56 AM   #7

So sorry to hear you've lost this great friend!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:15 PM   #8

Same here, IO.
I know what its like to lose a beloved pet.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 9:35 PM   #9

A very sad story, pups are definitely members of the family. I was just writing to my cousin how much I still miss my dog who passed away something like 7 years ago. Our backyards might seem like a save spot, but they aren't always. And coyotes are perfectly happy to feast on domestic pets - we have problems with them around our area, too. What amazes me is that some people move up here to the mountains and actually leave food out for the wild animals, thinking it's cool to see them close up, eating. They change their minds when the bears break into their houses and tear up their kitchens as they raid their freezers and refrigerators. By that time the bears are habituated and can't easily be relocated, they often have to be destroyed. It's sad, really. Unfortunately, while it's possible to keep the bears wild (don't teach them that people mean food), you don't have as much latitude with coyotes. Your wife's way of handling it might be the only one.
mtngal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 8:45 AM   #10

I just want to say Thank You all!!!

I wasn't going to say anything, but after coming across that old post, I just hit the [submit Reply] button.

So, it looks like permanent night patrol...... Actually, the pack thinks it great fun to be out with us and the flashlight, now - as they play catch the spotlight.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote