Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 22, 2010, 2:12 AM   #11

jealous ... but I'm going to a butterfly-indoor-garden , and if some of them turn out as good as these
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 5:43 PM   #12

of course, you know all of your butterfly shots are beautiful.

i love the swallow tail against the thorns, the first dark one. the butterfly looks so fragile juxtaposed against the briars, especially with the tatters in her wings.

i also really like the last photo; the little green iridescent bug with the pink flowers. very pretty.

the composition of the second spice bush butterfly is fantastic, i love how she is falling off the edge of the picture plane, and yet your eye is still drawn to the center of the photo.
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:33 PM   #13

Nice selection of mimics - now we need to see the model (the Pipevine).

Also a variety of colors of milkweeds for their nectaring.

Beautifully photographed, as usual.
If life brings you lemons, you can make lemonade.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 10:17 AM   #14

Wonderful series and I'm sooo jealous of the amazing variety of butterflies you encounter !

But, but, but ..... late Summer !!!!??? We have only just started (mid-July thru mid-September is 30 - 42C non-stop) !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 3:30 PM   #15

Beautiful, as always. Great variety in the butterfly shots.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 5:21 PM   #16

GW - Thanks for your kind words! Many of these were taken with my old Pentax A 70-210, which seem to have some really fine color rendition.

Lou - Thanks so much!

Tundraguy - And thanks for looking & commenting!

Ronny - Am sure that your butterfly shots from the indoor gardens will be much better! Can't wait to see them!

Vole - Thanks as always for your very kind, very specific, and very helpful comments. Glad you saw same as I saw in the tattered butterfly/thorny teasel shot...

Penolta - Thanks so much! As you've noticed, I did post a few Pipevine Swallowtails in another thread, taken at a different location. We hardly ever see them in our park, because we have no Dutchman's Pipevine. As you noticed, we do have several species of Milkweeds, with a nice range of colors (white, pink, lilac, orange...)

Frogfish - You'll just have to come to East Tennessee one of these days to see them for yourself! I only call it late summer because many of our local schools will be starting in just a few weeks, and so the summer vacation season here at the park is winding down. We will still have summer weather for another month or two...

Paul - So glad you enjoyed these!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote