Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 28, 2010, 6:27 AM   #1
Default Firmware Update K-7

New firmware for anyone with a K-7

bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:41 AM   #2

Thanks for posting this - I hadn't noticed it. It doesn't look like the update addresses much that I would be interested in, but I've always found it best to do them, regardless of whether I think the camera needs whatever they are adding.

I noticed that they've also added something to the Pentax Utility software. I'll probably not bother downloading that since I never got around to installing it once I switched computer systems.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:02 PM   #3

That's just it, Harriet. There is no aperture ring on that lens and besides that, the camera was set on manual.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 1:06 PM   #4

I haven't seen the need to update my K7 at all yet ..... I haven't really noticed anything that would impact my photography, however there is one item in this update that certainly would :

When using Live View, auto focus activate by pressing shutter release button halfway. Also improved focus speed

Not often but definitely sometimes. I think I will update this time.

Last edited by Frogfish; Jul 28, 2010 at 1:09 PM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 4:53 PM   #5

i updated mine and there is a definate improvement on the contrast detection lv autofocus its now noticeably faster at focusing with less hunting too

the incamera movie editing not tried - and i think the movie section in the menu is new too lets you select a fixed aperature or automatic and quality settings etc - might ahve been there before not sure

the electronic level indicator on the lcd is a case of close but no cigar - its great for leveling a shot but annoyingly you can only use it if you have it turned on in the menu and that turns the exposure scale into a level too.... dohhhhh - if could have had access to the level on the lcd screen while the exposure meter in the top panel and viewfinder remained for exposure then would have been great

think there are some new processing options too but i dont tend to do that incamera so not checked them out but on the whole probably worth upgrading for the improved video mode and lv autofocus
Pentax-DA 12-24mm f4 | Pentax-DA* 16-50mm f2.8 | Pentax-A 50mm f1.4 | Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro | Pentax-DA* 60-250mm f4 | Sigma 150-500mm
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote