Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:25 PM   #11

i dont have a macro so i use my glass 2x on a longer lens, which seems to work ok
not that i have any good butterfly shots lol
i have heard (but never tested) that shooting before the day gets warm helps, as the butterflies are slower
the plant looks like a weed/garden flower we have over here, lantana also called butterfly bush, you may be able to get them from a nursery, although they can be invasive i think
i am still tossing up if i like the closer one or the composition of the further one
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 12:21 PM   #12

Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
And you call these tranquil?! Anything less tranquil will be almost impossible to capture. I can't tell you how many pictures of bare flowers I took - they were gone by the time I pressed the shutter.

Please post the other skippers if you manage them, I'd love to see your pictures.
Harriet, I had quite a lot of throw-aways with these guys when I photographed them three years ago, and, as you may remember, that was at 300mm!

Originally Posted by Gumnut View Post
i have heard (but never tested) that shooting before the day gets warm helps, as the butterflies are slower
That is true - if you can find them before they get active - they are pretty good at hiding themselves during the night! But after stirring, the larger butterflies will often sun themselves in exposed positions to warm themselves up, and those can be your best opportunities.
If life brings you lemons, you can make lemonade.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote