Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 2, 2010, 2:07 AM   #1
Default Coasters

One of the really neat things about Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Virginia, is the way it's built right into the landscape, unlike some parks that are built on a relatively flat area. Because of that I was able to get some interesting roller coaster shots. These are taken with a DL using the DA 50-200.

First a shot of Alpengiest, built in 1997

The Loch Ness Monster, built in (can you believe it?) 1978

The Griffon built in 2008

My grandson and his Aunt on Grover's Alpine Express

And an evening ride on the "high steel!"

Hope you enjoyed the ride(s) and I hope y'all get a chance to ride for real some day!
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:25 AM   #2

Interesting series ! I love the colour of #4 (just a tiny piece of reflection that can easily be PP'd over) but #5 is my favourite - it could be almost be anything, an abstract piece of art almost.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 2:41 PM   #3

I remember visiting there in the 70's some time. There was one loop rollercoaster and I rode it twice. The first time I was white knuckled the whole way and didn't think I'd ever get on it again. The loops didn't bother me as much as the huge drop before them. The second time I went on it was after sampling a pint or two of the beverage that Busch makes. Thought it was great fun that time. However, I've never been on another roller coaster since that day...

Love your pictures! You made very good use of the terrain to get some really good pictures. Some day I might find a few extra bucks to visit Magic Mountain. I've always wanted to take a picture of their roller coasters against some of our spectacular SoCal sunsets. I see it often enough but only at 70 mph from the freeway on my way home from work.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 6:26 PM   #4

Great thread. I love the last picture of the silhouetted coaster with the cars caught in the inverted position. I also like the way the geometry of the steel supports plays out in the picture.

It brings back memories for me of Bush Gardens in Van Nuys, CA. No roller coaster at that time (1967) and no admission fee. It was a public relations place for AB.

They had a Parrot Jungle with shows for the kids and a monorail ride that toured the brewery. Beer was free and unlimited. That did not last long as it became a hangout for alcohol abusers.

To stop it they began charging admission and I think also began charging for the beer.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 7:59 PM   #5

Very nice series, Glen!
Nice color and sharp as a tack!

Lou, we have a Bush Gardens here too. We had free beer up until I moved here and then they started charging. I don't think it had anything to do with my reputation...

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote