Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:25 AM   #1
Default Views Converted to HDR

Waiting for a business meeting in the Jin Mao Tower the weather made the views out the windows look even more impressive than usual. Unfortunately there were plenty of reflections but there were a few keepers - which I thought might look good in HDR. The crane is of course non-HDR (converting to HDR brought out the window reflections). Which do you like best - the HDR versions or the originals ?

The Jin Mao is the world's 9th tallest tower (21M shorter than the Sears for comparison). I found out some more interesting facts, Shanghai now has more towers in the Top 100 of the World's Tallest Buildings than any other city : Shanghai 11, Hong Kong 9, New York 8 and Chicago 6. Just behind the Jin Mao is the world's 3rd highest tower, and under construction just in front is what will be the 2nd highest. Incredible.
Attached Images

Last edited by Frogfish; Aug 2, 2010 at 10:44 AM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2010, 2:34 PM   #2

A very nice series! I like the non-hdr for the first picture - don't know what software you used, but it over-cooked the colors too much for my taste in that picture. On the other hand, I like the HDR version of the second one - the extra saturation and the dark clouds work for it. I might use a layer to take out the bit of extra red in the sky - in fact, I'd probably try to lower the saturation overall in the sky, leaving the buildings alone.

While it's quite an impressive view from the window and the pictures are well done, I'd get claustrophobic in a place like that. Too many tall buildings shutting you in. Give me open spaces, even empty brown desert, instead.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:14 PM   #3

Good job, Kev!
I'm going to have to start exploring HDR and see what i can do with it.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:31 PM   #4

I think I prefer the HDR of both - it makes the images pop, whereas without it they are rather flat (the second one more so), perhaps due to the lighting and haze in the atmosphere.

I don't know about claustrophobia, but agoraphobia is a definite possibility!
If life brings you lemons, you can make lemonade.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote