Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 12, 2010, 7:30 PM   #11

excellent series!! what did you use for your macro shots?

really enjoyed this.

Funny, your 2nd butteryfly is almost verbatum to a shot I have, except its a different insect on the leaf
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:27 PM   #12

The Northern Pearly Eye's may be difficult to approach, but you accomplished it.....good shooting. Another great series.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 2:26 PM   #13

Beautiful shots of a gorgeous butterfly, I can see why it's a favorite of yours. And the fuzzy caterpillars are also interesting - they sure are hard on the leaves - nothing like stripping it, is it? Amazing how the milkweed survives such voracious appetites.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 5:59 PM   #14

the second of the hairy caterpillars! i love that they are almost tightrope walking! although the third one is nice as well, to see the whole story.
i like the first of the two snails: it looks like his shell is capturing the light.
i like the second cranefly orchid better, the black (tree?) shape in the background gives it a nice frame without being too overpowering/distracting.
is the second pearly-eye a slightly different species than the other two? because it doesn't have the light-blue, it only has the grey markings. but, for me it's a toss-up between the first and the third. the second one's background is more distracting.
and, of course, the mountains are pretty, and i want to go! i'll make you gingersnaps if you take me hiking!!
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 4:58 PM   #15

Another great series, Mole!
I'm hoping to get back up that way again this fall.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 8:59 PM   #16

Great series Mole, the 35-105 did indeed capture the red nicely.

Love the Tiger Spiketail. I don't see them up here.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 4:02 AM   #17

Amazing shots Mole,
It is always very inspirational to look at photo's like that
Pentax K-x, DAL 18-55, Tamron 70-300, Sigma 10-20
JC de Jonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 3:57 PM   #18

The spiketail and first Pearly Eye shots are great; I guess the Cranefly Orchid shots will just have to do

I sure am glad those Milkweed Tussock Moths don't occur out here - looks like they can skeletonize a milkweed's leaves in no time at all, and leave nothing for the monarchs!
If life brings you lemons, you can make lemonade.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:22 AM   #19

Frogfish - Thanks! Glad you liked them! Not many birds like the hairy caterpillars - too hard to swallow...

NMR - Glad you enjoyed these. Would be glad to see your similar butterfly photo! To answer your lens question, I have several macro options: Sigma 105 Macro (true 1:1 macro), Sigma APO 70-300 (1:2 macro), and a Raynox adapter that works well with both my Pentax A 70-210 and Pentax A 35-105. Also sometimes use the Tamron 18-250 which is semi-macro at 250mm, and Pentax DA 16-45 which can get surprisingly close at 45mm. (I think I have too many lenses!!)

Paul - Thanks for your very kind words! (PS - did you see my ID of your great dragonfly photos from a few days ago?)

Harriet - They sure are stripping the leaves - and did you notice the pile of frass (caterpillar droppings)? You can actually hear the "rain" of frass under the milkweeds and under some trees this time of year. Surprisingly, these caterpillars don't seem to cause much damage to the milkweed plants,althought hey may strip one or two plants. There are usually a lot on one plant, and none elsewhere in the patch.

Vole - Thanks as always for your very kind, very helpful, and very specific comments! These are all the same species of Pearly Eye - called Northern Pearly Eye - probably color difference is due to the lighting difference.
PS - no need to back gingersnaps, just get some transportation up this way!! (by the way, did you see the photo of your favorite dogs from our Roan hike?)

GW - Glad you enjoyed these. Hope to see you this fall!

Lou - Thanks! I'm slowly learning to use this lens - some interesting qualities...
Tiger Spiketails are hard (for me) to find & photograph - most active in the evening, and only rarely perch - then usually in the shade. There are several other species of spiketails - do you have any spiketails up your way?

JC - Thanks so much! We do live in an amazing & inspiring world!!

Penolta - Thanks so much! Yes, the moth larvae sure do some damage to individual plants, but the entire group seem to stay on just one plant, and they are not as common (in general) as are the monarchs.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:37 AM   #20

Mole we have 3 Spiketails the Delta-Spotted, Twin- spotted & Arrowhead. I personally have never seen any of them.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote