Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 14, 2010, 7:06 AM   #11

Boy oh boy mole, you have such a rough job. Wonderful series as always, I think I like that mushroom shot the most, but they are all good.
PPG Page
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:26 PM   #12

Plenty of choices for the Golden Hour thread - the last landscape before the close ups (#10) really is something special. Would make great Desktop wallpaper.

The QM is one of the best of the dead leaf mimics. You wouldn't see it perched on a tree or on sitting the leaf litter. Thanks for posting it.

The last ones with the moss (?) covered rocks remind me of a Pacific Northwest Rain Forest - not something I would have expected to see in Tennessee.
If life brings you lemons, you can make lemonade.

Last edited by penolta; Sep 14, 2010 at 8:41 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 1:45 PM   #13

Hey Mole,
You know how much I like old barn shots, these are really nice.

The fire in the sky is Wow! Great shots. All of them.
Thanks for sharing.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 2:00 PM   #14

Oh another exquisite set with some great shots. However, for me, the highlight was that Question Mark. What an amazing butterfly - I've never seen anything like it !
Pentax : 15 Ltd, 77 Ltd, 43/1.9 Ltd, Cosina 55/1.2, DA*300/4, Contax Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8, Raynox 150/250, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 8:33 PM   #15

What a stunning series, Mole. Glad you didn't let a little precipitation stop you! I love all of them but as GW said, the old barns with that crystal clear blue sky, annd exceptional.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:56 PM   #16

oh my gosh!! these are FANTASTIC!! (note the multiple exclamation points: ) )

the barns with the sky: i feel like you have been working with this idea for so long, and every time that you revisit it, you get better, adding another layer to it somehow. Something about the way that you see just the edge of the leaves, and instead of being a distraction, it adds another element of location. or something. maybe it's just me being crazy, but that is what i think.

the first sunset one, though, i almost wish that the intruding leaves on the left had been cropped out. maybe because it is just so little, that it almost looks like an accident.
Lindsey, my roommate said it best: "i think this is prettier than being there. you could be standing right there and not get that picture!"
(that was mostly in response to all of your sky/landscape photos.)
that last one (right before it rained, as you say) is just beautiful. i want it in poster size, on my wall. : ) it looks like a painting.
your butterflies are pretty, you knew that : ) but, that first one really is interesting, i love how it stands out from its background, like it seems like not the natural habitat of the butterfly, like you're doing a photo shoot of him for a magazine or something. i don't know if that made sense, but it is late and i am tired, so i will try to explain better when i am not so sleepy, if you ask me to.
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:07 PM   #17

fantastic, mole. Ive never seen one of those question marks before. Very cooL!
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 6:04 AM   #18

Mike - I always tell people that I get paid to play in the woods. Not quite true, but... (actually nearly all of these photos were taken on personal-time hikes, not at work.)

Penolta - Thanks so much! Indeed the Qu. Mark is tough to spot when they land, unless they open those wings and display the amazingly bright upper portion! Those mossy rocks are actually not so unusual here - many of our higher elevation forests (particularly in the Smokies, but elsewhere in southern Appalachians too) have been described as a temperate rain forest...

GW - Thanks so much for your very kind words!

Frogfish - Thanks! Questions Marks (and other angle-wing butterflies) are pretty common here, but hard to spot and usually too skittish for a good photo. This guy was enjoying the sunshine so much after that cold rain that he/she was easier to approach than usual.

MtnMan - Thanks so much - glad you enjoyed these!

Vole - As usual, some very helpful & insightful comments - and, also as usual, you are too kind! Your suggestions will be a big help!

NMR - Thanks so much - they sure are cool butterflies!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 8:20 AM   #19

Mole you are one prolific nature photographer and a Cracker Jack one to boot!

#'s 1, 3 and 10 are awesome! All others are merely outstanding.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 4:19 PM   #20

Great shots as always, especially the last 2

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote