Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 20, 2010, 1:40 AM   #1
Default Is this because my flash not strong enough

I followed some advice from this forum and reset my K-X. This picture is taken using Auto and ISO to 6400., but it is yellow and not bright and a lot of noise. Is this because of the on camera flash not strong enough?

raylee011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:52 AM   #2

Hi raylee,

My guess is that the flash did not fire. If you can recreate the shot without the flash, even with just the bench and the railing, you'll probably find that the exposure is the same as this shot at ISO 6400.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 4:43 AM   #3

Seems to be just as Scott said as there is no light falloff in the vicinity of your very cute daughter.

Or you were a long way away using a long zoom and the flash couldn't reach her !
Pentax : 15 Ltd, 77 Ltd, 43/1.9 Ltd, Cosina 55/1.2, DA*300/4, Contax Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8, Raynox 150/250, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 8:19 AM   #4
Super Moderator

If you really want good flash photos you need to take control, forget auto iso, go fully manual (apart from the flash initially). Set the exposure you want without the flash on, this will be your ambient light then use the flash to illuminate your subject. You might still need to use a bit of flash compensation depending on your subject but there will be less variables. Yes it takes some learning but it's the only way to get consistent photos with flash. You can get ok ones with the method you tried but you are letting the camera guess what you want which isn't always the same as you really want.

Have a play, that's the great thing about digital. Use the meter on the camera, start with settings 2 stops below the ambient lighting and see what works. Try lots of variables so you see what your changes are doing. I keep meaning to put together a flash tutorial as it confuses a lot of people but with some basic instruction it will soon all come together.
Any problems with a post or thread please use the report button at the bottom left of the post and the team will help sort it out.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote