Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 24, 2010, 9:16 AM   #11

Great series, Mole!
Really like the corn snake photos, Very colorful.
That Sigma 70-300 looks like it can hold its own. I have the 100-300 and its as good a lens.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:06 AM   #12

your snakes and beetle/flower shots are superb, of course they all are but those stand out the msot to me. For soem reason i enjoyed the sigma apo dragonfly the best, not due to magnification. It seemed to have no camera shake and sharpest detail, of course like you said in variable conditions of course.

thanks fr sharing
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:34 AM   #13

Wow............mole do you use flash on the bee and dragonfly macros? If so what flash do you use. The bugs always are very well exposed with no blow outs.
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 8:23 AM   #14

My favorites are: the second feverfew/beetle picture, the last corn snake, last ruby spot damslefly, and moon landscapes.
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 4:33 PM   #15

Kevin/Frogfish - Thanks so much for your very kind words. Yes, I do have a great job, and feel blessed to be able to share creation with MANY people! Not a way to get rich (hence the low-end camera and old lenses), but, as you said, there are so many things far more important than $$$
Not sure how the A and FA versions compare - will look forward to seeing your photos with yours!
And don't eat the "apple bugs" - they may smell good, but they taste very bitter! (PS - has your photo loading problem been fixed yet?)

Tachikoma - Thanks so much - glad you liked these. Hope you find some more exciting subjects soon... (or else, just come visit us here in East TN!)

GW - Glad you enjoyed these. The 70-300 works best for me as a macro. It is noticeably soft for more distant shots...

NMR - Thanks for your kind words and very helpful feedback!

Bock - So glad you liked them! I do not own a flash unit, but did use the camera's built-in flash for a bit of fill. Tried several different levels to get the best exposure...

Vole - Thanks so much! Glad you liked them!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:23 PM   #16

Beautiful series Mole! The corn snake shots are my favorites. Which lens did you use for those pics?
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:29 AM   #17

Very neat shots! Love your corn snake, the only snakes I see have rattles and fangs so I give them lots of room. Your beetle doing the imitation of a bee is wonderful, especially against the goldenrod.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 6:15 AM   #18

MtnMan - Glad you liked him! Used a Pentax A 35-105 F3.5 for the scaly fellow.

Harriet - We have our fair share of the fanged ones too, but far more of the harmless varieties. Those Locust LongHorned beetles seem to prefer goldenrods, and it does make a good background!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote