Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:50 AM   #1
Default K7 high ISO noise fix! This is impressive!

Hi all, I came across this rather impressive thread on controlling the K7's high ISO issue using only in camera adjustments, and I think the results are very impressive. By changing just two settings, this guy seems to be getting great results. Check out the samples on page two. Haven't tried it yet, but will post results first chance I get. Here's the link...http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...o-success.html
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2010, 1:08 PM   #2

Adam is the administrator there so if he thinks its a good move I for one will be trying it because the K7's poor noise control in 800 and up is one of the main reasons I'll be moving to the K5 ASAFP.
Pentax : 15 Ltd, 77 Ltd, 43/1.9 Ltd, Cosina 55/1.2, DA*300/4, Contax Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8, Raynox 150/250, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:46 PM   #3

will this affect shooting in raw? ah well regardless i've set it up will see how it does next time i'm shooting at higher iso - thanks for the tip!
Pentax-DA 12-24mm f4 | Pentax-DA* 16-50mm f2.8 | Pentax-A 50mm f1.4 | Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro | Pentax-DA* 60-250mm f4 | Sigma 150-500mm
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 4:14 PM   #4

Very impressive results. Certainly worth a try. Thanks for posting the link.
If life brings you lemons, you can make lemonade.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 6:36 PM   #5

Hi Tony,

I've played with in-camera NR, and though it makes things easy, I find it smears details more than I'm willing to accept. The higher you go in ISO, the more contrast and fine detail you lose, and smearing it further doesn't really help, IMO. Personally, I prefer to use Topaz Denoise 5 in PP and leave in-camera NR at Weak, kicking in at 1600, or completely off. I also set up in Natural, with contrast and sharpness at 0 or at a max of +1. TD 5 has raised my "useable in a pinch" setting from 1600 to about 4000, and I have saved some 6400 shots that were well exposed. This is shooting jpegs.

TD5, even though it's faster than previous versions, is still pretty slow, and isn't a great solution if you have to process a lot of shots. I'm running a 3.2 GHz dual core with Win 7 (64 bit), but I rarely process more than 10 shots per session, so it's tolerable. If you're only looking to get 4x6 or 5x7 prints, and are shooting an event where you're taking a lot of shots like a kid's sporting event, then in-camera NR might be a better bet.

Here's a link to a simple comparison I did recently with Topaz Denoise 4 and ISO 3200 and 6400 -- I feel that 5 is a little better at detail retention and it's faster

From what I've seen so far, I'm hoping that the K-5's 3200 will be pretty clean, with 6400 possibly needing only a bit of downsizing to be very useable out of camera, and starting with 16 MP, there will be a lot of room before you even come close to running short on resolution. Also, the in-camera NR could also be improved, so who really knows what's in store, except it will be better - much better. I'm really looking forward to shooting one. . .I have a feeling that this is going to be a camera that I take everywhere, and shoot everything, night or day -- this is going to be fun. . .

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote