Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:40 PM   #1
Default A wonderful Columbus Day Weekend

My wife and I took the three-day Columbus Day weekend to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We spent the long weekend at a small cottage in Maine that has been in my family for many years. The weather was beautiful, the autumn foliage was at its peak, and the companionship was perfect. Everywhere we went, the scenery was just gorgeous.

1. A stitched panorama of the cottage and the lakeshore. The local town controls the dam on the lake, and they have lowered the water level to allow some repair work, creating the muddy “bathtub ring” right at the shore line.
  1. We took a stroll on a country road, and this barn seemed to be in an absolutely perfect setting.
  2. On Sunday we hiked to the top of Bald Ledge, and the views looking out toward Maine's rolling hills and lakes were stunning.
  3. The nights were chilly, but the lake water is still somewhat warm from the not-too-recently ended summer. When cold night air meets up with warm water fog and mist result, creating wonderful early morning photo opportunities.
  4. Beautiful scenery and glorious foliage were everywhere.
    In all, it was a thoroughly delightful long weekend. Too bad silver anniversaries roll around so infrequently!
Attached Images
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:07 PM   #2

Beautiful foliage! My favorite shot is the lake mist, I love those kinds of shots. I rarely see that, since there's no lakes around here and little water and I just love seeing it.

25 years? Congrats! That's quite a milestone. And to be able to spend it in such a beautiful location would be really special.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 6:02 AM   #3

Congratulations on the 25th - my prayers for your wife's return to excellent health and at least another 25 years!

Beautiful scenes, and lovingly photographed. All are great, but I too especially like the mist photo. View from Bald Ledge is a very close second!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Super Moderator

very nice set Mtnman.

#3 is a very pleasing scene. and i just love the mist and reflection in #4.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:45 PM   #5

Beautiful, Ted!
Great photos. Congrats on 25 years.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:29 PM   #6

It's hard to pick a favorite on my phone. They all are lovely. Ill look again from the computer later. Looks like you picked a lovely weekend for your trip. Congrats on the 25th. Walt and I are at 28.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:32 PM   #7

Congratulations on your 25th. My wife and I spent our 25th in Maine canoeing down the Sacco River at near peak foliage time. It was spectacular.

We just this September past our 49th anniversary and are moving along toward our 50th next September. I hope you and your wife follow along in our footsteps.

I love the shots of your cabin and lake. The lake looks similar to the one we are on. We have a hiking trail that is called "the ledges" that has the same kind of vista as the one in your 3rd picture.

Thanks for sharing these great shots.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 3:05 PM   #8

The view you captured from Bald Ledge is certainly worth whatever climb you had to make. As much as I am partial to the views of my birthplace, Nova Scotia, Maine has got to be right up there for photographic opportunities. My wife and I have spent a few vacations in Maine as well as driving through to Houlton and on to New Brunswick. Our vacation time though has been more along the coast but after seeing your images I think it's time we travelled a bit further inland.

bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote