Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 16, 2010, 1:45 PM   #21

I wouldn't try to list the friends I have met here, I would be afraid to leave someone out!!
Riverview, NB, Canada
Current equipment
Pentax K7, K5, K3:
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-PM1, E-PL1, E-P2, E-P5: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 4:12 PM   #22

The 7D is calling ... because I really really want an MPE-65 and there is NO other lens like it in the whole wide world (it natively does from 1:1 up to 5:1 macro for those who don't know the lens) !

However, that is the only reason I could find so far for supplementing my growing Pentax system, and I really don't see any reason to change now that Pentax have come out with the K5 and, from all indications, fixed the weaknesses of the K7 (notably high ISO and added a speedier AF, though the K7 is no slouch).

As for forums, I can only echo Kjell, well this is home, a great mix of people, expert assessment and assistance, and a very friendly atmosphere. I'd love to meet some of you in person someday.

Now and again a venture forth into other forums but this is my only regular (though until mid-November I'm afraid my daily visits are going to be curtailed, as they have been for the past month, by work etc.).
Pentax : 15 Ltd, 77 Ltd, 43/1.9 Ltd, Cosina 55/1.2, DA*300/4, Contax Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8, Raynox 150/250, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:24 PM   #23

After shooting with a fully manual Minolta SRT-200 during the film era, my first digital SLR was a Nikon D200. I kept it a week before bringing it back to Adorama and trading it for a Pentax K200D. Many people will never understand that move but I suspect most people on this Pentax forum do. The Pentax was smaller, lighter, much more fun to operate and allowed me to think more about taking pictures than working my camera. I never looked back.

I remember, a few years ago, posting something about Canon and Nikon being like Toyota and Honda... while Pentax and Olympus were more like Subaru and Mitsubishi. Not perfect... but more interesting in an offbeat way and likely to draw a certain kind of customer. I still feel that way (and I drive a Subaru).

Therefore, it comes as no surprise that my second camera system is an Olympus micro four-thirds outfit. Alas, I lost my E-PL1 last summer (an episode I related in a post at the time) and I am waiting right now to see what kind of Pen Oly brings out next. I'm kind of hoping for one with a built in EVF or OVF. But if not, like Ira, I could go for an E-P2 and use my Lumix 20mm f/1.7 pancake (which I didn't Lose). Fuji's X100 also appeals to me (talk about looking like a poor man's Leica!).

But I suspect whatever second system I have, it will never replace Pentax. I, too, have been frustrated by Pentax at times. But it has always had more to do with having no idea what the company has planned in terms of product more than anything else. And I've gotten past that lately. I have high hopes for the K-5 and can see that camera eventually making it into my kit.

But a big bonus that comes from being a Pentaxian is being a part of this forum. It's so refreshing to have friendly discussions instead of arguments. I'm a member of another (perhaps better-known) Pentax message board and while it's a useful and informative place, it can be quite stressful at times. This isn't supposed to be about stress... it should be about fun, creativity, learning and comraderie. And we get it all here.

Last edited by Biro; Oct 16, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 4:05 AM   #24

Hi Ira and All,

Re: the thread's title: I'm not one who's lured by other brands. After over 5 years of active LBA, I'm so invested in K mount glass and related gear that I don't even consider other brands, no matter what they might offer. Besides, I'm too old and set in the processes of shooting Pentax bodies that it would be silly to try to switch. Now that it appears that AF speed has probably advanced to the point where there is little advantage to the other systems for my purposes, so there's little reason to even look at them. I won't ever use photography to pay the rent, so whatever Pentax offers will suit my purposes just fine.

For me, the advantages offered by the 1.7x AFA for my main areas of interest have outweighed most disadvantages of shooting Pentax for quite some time. The improved AF speed and ISO performance that the K-5 looks to offer only further seals the deal for me.

This forum, for me is the perfect mix. A group of photographers who really seem to fit the niche that Pentax serves well, amateurs and advanced enthusiasts who want to hang out, share their images, knowledge, and experiences with friends who have a common interest. I think that was the original intent of these fora, and this is the only one I know of that's really stayed true to this over the years. . . it's a community. . . and a fine one. I've always considered myself lucky to have found this forum, and I don't imagine that this will change.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 2:31 PM   #25

When I was able to pick up a Spotmatic in 1970, it was the great lenses. So after many years and in going digital, I went with Pentax again because of the lenses. The bodies are after all computers for all essential purposes. In going digital with Pentax, I knew that with more than one lens, I was essentially captive, and that changing systems was expensive. But with backwards lens comparability, I figured that it would not matter.

In buying my lenses, I really did not need fast (aperture or focusing), so I never acquired any SDM lenses. It just turned out that screwdrive was just fine for me and what I shot. Actually, on the lens side - the simpler the better.

The K100 was a wonderful re-introduction, and then upgrading to the K20. Still more camera capability that what my skills demand. So, the bottom line, is that Pentax may not have the absolute best at any given moment in time, but the camera and lenses still work and continue to take great pictures (even despite my run-of-the-mill skills). Beyond that - it doesn't matter - at least in photography....

Then there is this haven, away from all the wining about this feature (or lack of) and that, and that some other brand is or has... etc., etc., etc. Great group of folks, wonderful images to travel the world from my desk chair through. Just a real nice experience. A wonder little community....

Last edited by interested_observer; Oct 17, 2010 at 2:34 PM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:16 PM   #26

I'm coming late to the party on this thread, but I agree with all the comments. When I first bought into the Pentax DSLR system it wasn't a hard decision -- I only had a couple of lenses that fit my Olympus OM1, and they don't fit any Olympus DSLRs so it was clear I was going to have to build a glass collection from scratch. I wanted image stabilization, but i didn't want to have to buy that stabilization in each lens, so sensor-based stabilization was the obvious choice. That meant the only options were Pentax and Konika/Minolta. Today, the decision might be slightly more difficult because Sony has bought up the K/M line and has really expanded the selection of both bodies and lenses. Canon and Nikon have introduced more affordable stabilized lenses, which makes those brands not quite as expensive as they appeared three or four years ago. But I am very glad I chose Pentax, because you folks make this the best forum I'm aware of.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:45 AM   #27

Have been away from computers for several days, and just spotted this thread. Can't really add anything that has not already been said... but can heartily agree with all the comments about the friendly and helpful attitude of all who participate here.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 8:32 PM   #28

My first SLR was a 1959 Yashika Pentamatic. I used it until 1980 when I acquired a Cannon A1. I used it until 2001 when I purchased a Nikon Cool Pix 995. In 2006 I bought my first Digital SLR a Pentax K100D and Last year I upgraded to the K-7.

I do not feel wed to Pentax but I have enjoyed both my Pentax cameras. I like the build quality and the ergonomics of the camera. I have a small hand and the camera just feels right. My only gripe is with long lens availability. I would like a 400 or 500mm f4 lens. I am also a little unhappy with the high ISO performance of the K-7 but not enough to make me want to upgrade to the K-5.

As for Steve’s I think this is a great group of people that I have a common interest in taking photos with Pentax gear. I never fail to learn something here and consider you all friends though I have never met you in person (nhmom the exception).

A year or two ago nhmom was having an issue with an 18-250 lens she bought and I told her she could try mine and compare image quality. We met and since then we have joined a local camera club that we attended together every week (until her illness this spring). My wife Evelyn & I and Patty and her husband Walter have gotten together socially. Patty and I went out last Tuesday and shot foliage pictures together. So by joining this forum I not only made virtual friends but also a personal one.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:27 AM   #29

When I decided to jump to the world of the DSLR I simply went with the cheapest one I could find at the time which was the *istDL with 18-55mm kit lens for $500. It helped that it carried the Pentax name which I was already familiar with. My father has a Program Plus and I think my grandfather used to have a Pentax SLR at one time as well, though I don't know what model it was. I've stuck with Pentax mainly because of the fact that the lens mount is the same over so many generations and the lens options are many. As well I have found that this community is a great place. I've tried to be more social on other forums but they just don't have the same atmosphere as this place. Great bunch of people here!
PPG Page
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote