Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:50 PM   #11

Another fine series. Always something new. The Rock Harlequin flowers are unusual - do you know what pollinates them? You have shown ferns and mosses before, but I think this is the first time you have shown liverworts (the "thallose" kind). Thanks for the post.
If life brings you lemons, you can make lemonade.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:15 PM   #12

beautiful, love dof on the toad. #2 reminds me of a bowl of fruity pebbles

lovely series, I second seeing the face!
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 7:29 PM   #13

Another fabulous series Mole! Those of us who live in new England like to think that we have the best autumn foliage display in the world. And there's no question that our fall foliage display *is* glorious. But your fine photos show that your region also has a magnificent display. Goes to show that the good Lord was very generous in spreading natural beauty around everywhere. Thanks for sharing!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:04 AM   #14

Bluenose - So glad that my photos are helping introduce you to our region's species!
PS - you will notice that the dogs and I are all showing our "best side" to the camera!!

Penolta - And thank you for your very kind words. To answer your question - I have only seen this plant twice, both times in this same general area, and have never seen any pollinators on it. There is another, much more common species of Corydalis here (Corydalis flavula) that is visited by small bees.

NMR - Thanks so much! I do enjoy toads as a photo subject - lots of personality, and don't move too fast! Our higher elevations are not too "fruity" now - recent rains have washed off many of the leaves. But still plenty more autumn color to come...

MtnMan - Amen!! And also glad you liked the photos!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:28 AM   #15

More great pictures Mole. Love your mountain landscapes. Your foliage looks just about peak.

Our foliage is just becoming peak now in Northern MA and in the Berkshire Mt's in the Western part of the State.

Nhmom I think will post some we took together last week in NH when she gets feeling better latter this week. Boston will be nice foliage this week end and all next week.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:47 AM   #16

As a kid, I lived in North Carolina and Pennsylvania. My father would take us to the high hills to see the leaves turning. When the fall colors come to California, I have tried in vain to convey to friends what the eastern forests look like when the colored trees stretch as far as the eye can see. I guess you really have to see it to beleive it. Your shots took me back and are a wonderful look at the incredible fall colors that go to the horizon.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:44 PM   #17

Hard to believe its been a year since we were there, Mole!
I was really hoping we'd get to come up this year too but, doesn't look like that will happen. Hopefully, we'll see you next year.

Great photos!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:25 PM   #18

Lovely, as usual. Hubby and I spotted a vista view like these about a month ago and are hoping to go Saturday and capture the colors in full grandeur. Time of day, energy factor, leaves still on trees and not past prime, of course all factors in this.

And, yes, Lou and I got some lovely photos to post. I've just been feeling good today to get online. Am hoping to process some later tonight and tomorrow and get posted soon.

p.s. Seeing images like yours that remind me to use a shallow depth of field to make a boring image interesting are what makes seeing others photos so helpful. Your image of the toad and the green plant on the moss taken by me would be boring.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 3:51 PM   #19

Lou - Thanks so much! Glad to hear that Patty has been feeling well enough to get out & enjoy that New England autumn!

Pboerger - So glad my photos brought back good memories!

GW - Time sure does fly (especially as we get older!!). Sure do hope you can make it next year. You might consider springtime too - a beautiful time of year in the East Tennessee hills!

Patty - so nice to "see" that you are feeling a bit better! Glad you enjoyed these, and glad that the toad & liverwort were useful photos too... Will look forward to your autumnal photos whenever you feel up to posting them!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:17 PM   #20

Wonderful series! While thinking that I might have a day to go exploring tomorrow, I went looking around the internet for fall colors in California. It turns out there's a whole area that gets really good color and this year its supposed to be better than normal. I never thought of that area as being a place to visit for color (it's known for skiing, fishing and summer hiking). It's too far away for a day trip, and the car is acting up again (though we just got it back) so I'll miss it this year. But at least I know about it now and can keep it in mind for next year.

For this year I'll have to make do with looking at all of your pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote