Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:24 PM   #1
Default Milkweed Pods, Berries, 1 bug, 1 bird (8 imgs)

Hi All,

What ever happened to Fall?. . . we've gone from 80s to 60s and it's already looking like 40s at night. . .

Anyway -- I spent some time at my local Nature Center, and late afternoon sunlight combined with some milkweed pods in the process of cracking open offered some photo ops -- All these are with the K-7 and DA18-250 Exif is intact.

This is a just-opened pod, the first I've seen like this -- The seeds are bunched up like a young pine cone, and the floss is compressed by the shape of the pod like a tail. . .

This one's been open for a while, but there was only a slight breeze, not enough to scatter all the seeds. It was interesting to see a totally green pod on the same plant right next to this one.

The low sun made this group of pods catch my eye

A group of seeds, caught on another plant

Some berries (don't know what kind), from just emerging to ripe in the same bunch

More of these berries -- the composition caught my eye

Another milkweed pod showing how fast these things dry up, and with a couple of colorful Milkweed Bugs grabbing a snack and waiting for the pod to crack so they can get at the seeds -- couldn't have a post without some wildlife. . .

. . .or at least one bird . . . This is my favorite captive, a Screech Owl, IIRC, it's a female, and she's blind in her right eye, which is still there, but is all black. She usually keeps the right eye closed, and I usually just shoot at an angle that only shows her good eye, which she likes. . .

This time, she looked at me straight on with both eyes open. I told her that I could fix her bad eye with some PP magic, and she nodded. I also cloned out the handling strap from under her left foot.

ISO 3200, cropped to 8x10, cleaned up with Topaz Denoise 5, sharpened a tad with Focus Magic.

I told her how imposing she looked, and she was pleased. . .she's only about 4 1/2 inches (11.5 cm) tall . . .

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:32 PM   #2

amazing pictures, so clear and sharp! nice work!
Shooting with a:
Sony NEX F3
Sony 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 OSS
SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 (manual)
"unknown" 35mm/f1.8 (manual)
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 7:34 PM   #3

great post here! Especially love the last
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:16 PM   #4

Hi CyberTron and NMR,

There wasn't a whole lot to shoot that day, but it was a great day out and I was happy with what I was able to get. . .

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:19 PM   #5

great owl picture
great textures in the feathers
and the lighting gives it plenty of mood

i like the silhouette in 3 and the rainbow highlights in the fibres

I am not sure what season we are in
winter seemed mild, spring was ok but a bit up and down, and at the moment it is dark and raining outside and summer seems a long way off
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:30 PM   #6

A very nice set, Scott. You made the backlight work very well in your favour. I was a bit amazed by how close you got to the owl, till I read the text. So you've really made friends with this little lady? I think she will be very satisfied with the portrait.

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:45 AM   #7

Very nice series - you sure found a lot to photograph on a day when there wasn't much to photograph!!
If you want some more captive owl photos, come visit here sometime - I have three (screech, barred & great horned) who would be glad to pose for you.

By the way, your berries (so well-photographed) are pokeberry. Mildly poisonous to humans, a feast for mockingbirds and others... And the new shoots in spring are quite tasty for humans, if cooked properly (around here, folks call them "poke sallet.")
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:06 AM   #8

Nice series, I particularly like the back lit Milkweed and of course the Owl.

Last fall I went to a program at a local library put on by a bird rehabilitator and he brought a Barn Owl that was blind in one eye from an injury. I guess having large eyes and flying in tree branches in the dark can be a hazard.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:28 AM   #9

Great series, Scott!
Love the Owl.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:41 PM   #10

Very nice. I especially like the third one of the silhouetted milkweed. Nice effect.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote